• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Tiling outdoors advice in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Guys any advice on material and preparation for tiling 50mt patio .
As you all know frost and the usual British isles weather can create major problems with porcelain.
Has anyone used bal rapid mat for decoupling, I've a load ofit left over from previous job is it any good for outdoors , or even needed

O

One Day

Try Dural

Or stick with proper drainage solutions which will make sure your tiling lasts more than 12 months.

Expensive you say?! Try the expense of re-doing it all after scrimping on a drainage layer...

Here's one done just over 12 months ago...
20180416_091349.jpg

S

Spare Tool

Or stick with proper drainage solutions which will make sure your tiling lasts more than 12 months.

Expensive you say?! Try the expense of re-doing it all after scrimping on a drainage layer...

Here's one done just over 12 months ago...
View attachment 98499
Think you might need to look a bit further than the Ci mat Mark...you'll be surprised at what you might find

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I watched a video on YouTube for the installation of ditra drain and they didn't waterproof the balcony before putting ditra drain down is it's a necessary and if so would an ordinary tanking kit work

D

Dumbo

Why would you want to waterproof .
The ditra drain is designed for water under the tiles to run away .

O

One Day

Schluter systems don't include waterproofing any terrace or balcony in the UK. It's down to the extremes of weather or something.
When I have used different systems from them, each time I have had to get the builder to ensure everything is already waterproof and then the Schluter gear is there to uncouple and manage the water / drainage.
You could waterproof using Kerdi membrane.
If I am wrong on this, then by all means @Schlüter-Systems Ltd please correct me!

L

LM

So basically theres no need to waterproof the concrete substrate? Is this correct
That’s correct, there’s no need to water proof a concrete patio. The whole concern is avoiding water pooling or gathering in a volume that when it freezes starts the process of expanding and forcing the tiles to break from the adhesive. The first ‘gap’ created gets bigger and when the second freeze occurs this problem gets bigger and so on and so on until there is a failure, so the emphasis is on draining the water away so as to prevent this in the first place.

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Guys after extensive research ive found out maybe I dont need ditra drain .
Check out this video

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I spent £700 that was for 50 m off ditra drain for what seems to be just an extreme version of ditra mat

D

Dumbo

Ditra drain actually allows water to drain from underneath the tile instalation so infact does not allow water to gather . So i can see what you are saying but it does extra .

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah it's a serious topic because so many outdoor work is compromised by the weather conditions in this country and too many installers put too much trust in the adhesive they use

Reply to Tiling outdoors advice in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer