Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on hardwall - is this a big no no? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Never listen to a builder when it comes to tiling.
Tiling work is subject to much more strict regulations than builders follow.
Builders don't care once they have done their bit at a tolerance of +/- 20mm.
The tilers tolerance is +/- 4mm on a suitable substrate over 2m.

Reaction score
Never listen to a builder when it comes to tiling.
Tiling work is subject to much more strict regulations than builders follow.
Builders don't care once they have done their bit at a tolerance of +/- 20mm.
The tilers tolerance is +/- 4mm on a suitable substrate over 2m.
Thanks very much - good point - builder is a bit rough and ready it seems.
The builder is going to quote for fixing the backer boards but anything outside of the original quote is always in the thousands unfortunately...
Can I ask, it sounds like a time consuming job getting the screws into the hard bricks. Would a tiler often be tasked with the job of fixing the backer boards on? I've mentioned it to our tiler and he said to ask the builder first. I didn't know if he wasn't that keen because he's not often having to do it

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Each to there own really. I like to do my own prep work as I know it will be done properly. Its not overly difficult to drill through a board into brick, plug it and screw it. A half decent sds drill will fly through it.

Reaction score
So, a quick and cost-effective way of solving the issue is to create a suitable background to receive tiling. Without viewing the walls, I would suggest over-boarding the walls using 12.5mm plasterboard using dry wall adhesive (if suitable to do so). Then use a tanking kit to prepare and make the plasterboard waterproof to accept and fix tiles onto.

Reply to Tiling on hardwall - is this a big no no? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen