Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Bathroom - Going overboard? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unused Account 1

Cheaper tiles normally bowed so hard to do brickbond ,looked at a job today ,the client wanted brickbond,i showed him the bow in the tiles,and now back to stacked,brickbond bit old fashioned these days ,im doing more stacked ,bit more modern

ChrisSG

TF
Reaction score
Quick update on this.

Bit the bullet and got a tiler in to finish the rest of the job off as I wasn't happy with the tiling I was doing and also started to run out of time.

Anyway, to the point... The tiler I've got in comes recommended on the normal UK review websites (won't list them obvs) and is a member of The Tiling Association so all looks good there. Nice bloke too and the work he's done so far I'm really happy with... BUT he has been using BAL White Star Plus ready-mix adheasive to put the tiles up after priming any non-tanked walls (tiles are 9mm thick, Wickes (nothing too fancy), 600x300 tiles which are porcelain according to pack).
My worry is that the BAL data sheet says for that adheasive says no tiles (of any kind) bigger than 600x150.
Also, all I'd read was that cement based adheasive should be used for that tile type (which is what I'd used to do some tiles earlier before stopping).

I guess I'm looking for some sort of reassurance as this has got me stressed out. I have zero reasons to be concerned with his work other than that datasheet... I'm obviously going to speak to him about it when he's next in too!

P.S. It feels a bit late now anyway as the room is mostly done (bar last few rows and grouting etc).

Thanks in advance, Chris

T

Time's Ran Out

There will be trouble ahead!
Ready mixed no bigger than 30x30 and certainly not porcelain.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
He could possibly be using old buckets to mix his adhesive in. I have around 40 greenstar buckets from my old subbing days sat in a shed that i use for mixing daily, to someone just looking in they would be none the wiser. Unless you have an actual tub lying there in front of you that is

S

Spare Tool

Easiest way to tell is try taking one of yesterdays fixed tiles off, if it comes off quite easily and adhesive will still scrape off its a worry at the least...

ChrisSG

TF
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think he's mixing it up in the buckets as he said about using ready mixed and there's a few tubs here! I'm kinda confused as he really doesn't seem like a 'bodger' so I'm sure he'd know what the correct procedures are :S

Appreciate the ideas and replies. I might try popping off a tile tomorrow, or see if he'll pop one off when he's back - I don't really want to **** the guy off yet!

I see, from research, the issues with ready mix are a lot to do with the way it dries; it can take quite a while? Is there also a strength/longevity issue with it as well?

Cheers, Chris

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
In that case you have more than enough reason to be concerned, data sheet says maximum size porcelain tiles are 150x150, even if they were ceramics they are double the size at .18m2 to the .09m2 they advise. You won't be wrong to query it, it will just be how you go about it that can get a stronger reaction from him

Reply to Tiling Bathroom - Going overboard? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen