Discuss tiling a niche in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Derry

hope this isn't a daft question but how would you go about tiling a niche from scratch?
Would you have toi build some kind of frame or would you cut into the wall?

It's not something I have ever done so just curious.

D

Deleted member 1779

Yes there is plenty of resources on here with regards to niches and as mentioned type "Niche" into the search box to find all information. To answer your basic question you can do either way in your scenario! IE:
1) If you have a non-load bearing wall then you can cut into it to create a niche.
2) If you have ugly pipework to hide or want to make a feature then you can create your own frame.

49.JPG

In order to hide the ugly soil stack I built this black feature piece behind the loo and on the right hand side i built a wooden frame and inset it with some niches.

39.JPG

To recover room space it was useful to have the niches. Covering a soil stack at 4 inches (110mm) removes a lot of your bathroom !

niche1.jpg

(Dont worry it all looks a lot nicer with grout!)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Derry

it certainly does look alot nicer fully grouted!

thanks, i'll do a search and see what i can find

Q

Qwerty

They are easy enough to build in a stud wall mate. Plenty of working out and cutting wood but once you have done it a couple of times its a doddle. Just take your time working out the measurements and you will be fine.

S

Scott

I build mine once i know where its going and what tiles are being used. I work them into full tiles and get them to look asthetically pleasing with the cuts etc.

Reply to tiling a niche in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks