Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss tiles stuck on top in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

Handyeire

Ive to rip up floor in small kitchen/utility and large dining area and while doing this I've noticed there's vinyl (rubbery)tiles underneath laid with evostick. The ceramic tiles I'm removing have bonded decent to these underneath and I'm wanting to know, is it OK to tile on top of them again or should I remove. The reason why I'm asking is that their well down and when removing some of them, I'm taking lumps out of screed. I've never came across this before and want to know is it OK to tile on them or did tiler before me just take a chance and got lucky after he did it seeing as they've been down 15 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If they're that well bonded you could give them a good clean then apply slurry coat before tiling. Personally I rather take them up then slc the lot.

H

Handyeire

If they're that well bonded you could give them a good clean then apply slurry coat before tiling. Personally I rather take them up then slc the lot.

Was told in tile store that I'll be OK just to lay on top. What I've done is removed all old adhesive which has left a rough surface in 70% of the area and I also got the grinder out and scratched the area well. Have to start the tiling tomorrow but wondering will I need to prime the area as well?

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sorry mate I'm slightly confused here! Have you taken up the ceramics but left the vinyl tiles or have you stripped the whole lot up leaving the vinyl adhesive down?

H

Handyeire

Sorry mate I'm slightly confused here! Have you taken up the ceramics but left the vinyl tiles or have you stripped the whole lot up leaving the vinyl adhesive down?

Sorry, left the vinyl tiles down and scratched them with grinder thou haven't scratched right through. They are well down.

H

Handyeire

Sorry if this sounds silly so go easy on me but what's a slurry coat.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If there's adhesive residue I'd prime. If you're down to just vinyl I'd slurry. I know some adhesives state you can tile straight onto vinyl tiles, I guess it's a personal thing but I always slurry. You could have a look at Ultra's Prime it N. It's a primer for impervious substrates, maybe that could be the way to go.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Each manufacturers slurry is slightly different but generally its primer mixed with about 30% addy and I apply by brush. Some say use the primer neat, others say dilute it.

H

Handyeire

Each manufacturers slurry is slightly different but generally its primer mixed with about 30% addy and I apply by brush. Some say use the primer neat, others say dilute it.

So I can use diluted evo stick 918 mixed with addy and roll all over the floor then wait an hour or 2 then tile?

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Not a primer I'm familiar with. As long as it's a good quality sbr then yeah roll away. I'd wait until its completely dry. Should dry gritty, like a really heavy, course sandpaper hence the extra adhesion.

NWTiles

TF
Reaction score
Ensure that the Vinyl is clean and grease free, then use a BAL Single Part Fastflex Adhesive which is an S2 classifciation adhesive which will out perform BSEN12004.

Spec Taken From BAL

"Most substrates including: Asphalt (suitable grade e.g. flooring), Concrete, cement:sand screeds and rendering. Existing vinyl tiles, unglazed ceramic tiles, quarry tiles, terrazzo and natural stone. Fibre reinforced cement boards and lightweight tile backer boards. Tongued and grooved floorboards, Underfloor heating."

Reply to tiles stuck on top in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks