Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles not a true 601x601 in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You want to check the batch numbers on them all. Seems odd to have one pack with only one tile out. Usually all made out about the same amount. If you've been working from several boxes at a time (as you are meant to) it could be one of the boxes are the ones with the dodgy side.

As above, check for an arrow or wording on the back, and use them all the same direction. And work the bigger ones in first so the grout joints are slightly wider on the others. Rather than the other way around which will screw you for space.

I'm thinking batch issue maybe. Check the boxes.

Also; what tiles are they where are they from? So people can avoid them lol

Reaction score
You want to check the batch numbers on them all. Seems odd to have one pack with only one tile out. Usually all made out about the same amount. If you've been working from several boxes at a time (as you are meant to) it could be one of the boxes are the ones with the dodgy side.

As above, check for an arrow or wording on the back, and use them all the same direction. And work the bigger ones in first so the grout joints are slightly wider on the others. Rather than the other way around which will screw you for space.

I'm thinking batch issue maybe. Check the boxes.

Also; what tiles are they where are they from? So people can avoid them lol
Thanks mate. I'm not sure I worded it well but I am seeing that most,if not all of the tiles have one edge of 603 and 3 at 601. So as you say they are all out the same.

They are Roma Cielo tiles from Elias Ceramics in Italy. There are no word on the back apart from made in Italy and no directional arrows so I am going to continue with what I have and just match up edges so that the longer 603 edges are next to eachother this should in theory keep the joints from running off and make the rest of the job a bit easier 🤣

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep the wording in the same direction on 'em all then mate. Good luck.

Show us some pictures when you're done mate. :)

Reaction score
Keep the wording in the same direction on 'em all then mate. Good luck.

Show us some pictures when you're done mate. :)
Would I not need to make sure that the longest edge always hit another longest edge? Otherwise where 4 tiles meet it have an extra mm each side creeping into things.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Would I not need to make sure that the longest edge always hit another longest edge? Otherwise where 4 tiles meet it have an extra mm each side creeping into things.
If all the tiles faced the same way, then surely only one direction has the issue? And if they all match then the only problem is a wider grout joint in one direction?

What does it look like so far?

Any chance of a chrimbo pic or two?

Reaction score
If all the tiles faced the same way, then surely only one direction has the issue? And if they all match then the only problem is a wider grout joint in one direction?

What does it look like so far?

Any chance of a chrimbo pic or two?
I did a couple of tests there setting 4 tiles on a 2by2 square. First I tried them all the same direction and there was an overlapping couple mm at the outside joints, when I tried the other test with the tiles 603 edge together the tiles flush up perfectly on the outside and internal joins. So think best way to go is with the longest edges butted to eachother. So to sort my issue il just find the longest edge on the ones that are laid and work from there. Hopefully not too many have to come up 🙉🙈 I'll post a few completed pics this week all being well.

Reaction score
Its been a while, I was posting a different question and remembered about the pics was asked for. To cut a long story short, the method of putting the longest edge together worked a treat and the final result after the grout is spot on IMO :) enjoyed my first tile job and now onto hallway and bathrooms! Thanks for all the help guys!
1611251801129.png

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Its been a while, I was posting a different question and remembered about the pics was asked for. To cut a long story short, the method of putting the longest edge together worked a treat and the final result after the grout is spot on IMO :) enjoyed my first tile job and now onto hallway and bathrooms! Thanks for all the help guys! View attachment 113932
Good result, thanks for sharing

Rae

-
Reaction score
It happens a lot ,sizy tiles ,see if tbey have arrows on the bottom ,some h@ve to be layed in on3 direction otherwise brick
Effect

Reply to Tiles not a true 601x601 in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen