Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles not a true 601x601 in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I've run into a bit of a pickle, I'm laying 600 square floor tiles.
The sizing for them is meant to be 601x601 I'm laying with 3mm spacers and am now seeing that consistently I'm picking up tiles with 3 sides 601 and a side that's 603.
I'm now at a point that I think I may need to shave off a slight amount to bring them to a true 601 for the next couple. Is this something anyone has tackled before.

D

Dumbo

How many have you laid.
If it's not many I would think of lifting them and relaying in a brick bond

Reaction score
Lay them all the same direction and you won't have a problem
How many have you laid.
Thanks. I've laid quite a few. About 30. The issue here is that I needed to lift one after I set but it is in the middle of two already laid ones. So when I lay the tile in the grout lines are inconsistent due to the sizing. So if I shave off a small amout, like a mm or so it should square up in the space and I should be back on track again.

I will bear in mind for the other side of the room to match up the next tile with the previous in a row so that it all runs nicely.

Not all the tiles are 601 on 3 sides and 603 on another but it seems that 9 out of 10 tiles have a 603 side.
[automerge]1576968006[/automerge]
How many have you laid.
I suppose an option might be to try and identify which tiles would help to be removed and relaid with greater attention to detail in terms of the sizing. I'm not keen on the brick bond but I see how it would help with these kinds of problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would i be right in saying that with tiles that are not rectified I should look to lay the longer sides against eachother. So a 603 side in my case is butted against another 603 side.

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
They might be directional check the back of the tile for an arrow then lay the tiles with the arrows all the same way

Reaction score
They might be directional check the back of the tile for an arrow then lay the tiles with the arrows all the same way
Thanks, I checked for that and no arrows. So think best course of action is to work them that the 603 edges butt to eachother. All my other joints seem pretty good. I'm running with 3mm spacers and in a couple of places the joint runs into 2mm but it's only in a couple spots across the 30 tiles laid so far. Hopefully thatl be ok.

Reply to Tiles not a true 601x601 in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen