Search the forum,

Discuss Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
P5250456.jpg

P5250457.jpg

P5250454.jpg

P5250455.jpg

Took 'em all off on Friday and re-doing tomorrow.
I've lost out on at least 2 jobs that I know of to this guy.

D

davebates

2012-05-28-207.jpg been and ripped up this floor today thats failed no addy has stuck to the tiles cant think why ???

the floor is chipboard thats bouncing up and down with just a hand full of nail's but the addy has bonded to the chipboard really well in fact its took me two days to get it off I wanted to change it for ply but customer concerned it will cost to much so ill have to screw it all down proper then over board with no more ply.....

when getting the addy up I noticed it does not feel like cement based and has no weight to it and theres no sand in it either, the customer said it looked really wet when the other tiler was spreading out so god only knows what he used quite scary really but he works for quite a big shop near by....

Attachments

• 2012-05-28-206.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Pourable thick bed adhesive, the reason
that is was so wet.

Porcelain can pop off adhesive easier ad you know but the bouncy floor would have caused what you have there.

Is it a floating floor ?

D

davebates

oh right its an upstairs bathroom with joists spaced 40cm apart i think it was just the floor boards were not fixed right some boards only had two nails in ive screwed it all down now with 32mm screws and it feels solid ill over board with no more ply and refit new tiles should be sound

Reaction score
Outstanding work. I see jobs like this every month. An en-suite where we were just supposed to take the bath out, put a shower in with boards and infil the half dozen tiles that would be left exposed ended up in a £5k full refit as the tiles had been put onto fresh paint over fresh plaster and just fell off in a big sheet when we took the bath screen off....

That and the other ensuite cost £16k 2 years ago. Bloody hell we are undercharging and over-delivering to people. The other ensuite has a leak and the chipboard floor is knackered under the corner leg. Built in cistern cannot be got at unless you take the basin and worktop off (its passing all the time). How much she asks? Less than it cost to put it in! Flipping cowboys. "Big" named company, lots of advertising, lots of rip-offs and pfut theyre gone and wont come back. Grrr

S

Stef

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338919279.138318.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338919312.001019.jpg

Went to look at a job today, this is what I found.
This was tiled about 7/8 years ago by "The Best Tiler in Glasgow"

P

Peter

Wonder if the dot n dab brigade only charge for the half bag of adhesive they actually use or do they price it for a bag to every 4-5m?

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think you could do whole bathroom with just one bag :lol:, and even have some left for next project :lol::lol::lol:

S

Stef

The tiles were about 550mm x 330mm roughly & they were stuck with tubbed addy.

Dont think it would really matter what addy they were stuck with.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Here we go again

This bathroom was done 6 weeks ago by a builder in 2 days, 20m walls, 4m floor
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg Cracked tile after fixing cabinet to wall
photo4.jpg
photo5.jpg View from inside window reveal into room £1 and 10 pence for your info Dan!!
photo6.jpg
photo7.jpg No drill available
photo8.jpg
photo9.jpg A laser level was used on this job, believe it or not
photo10.jpg This is how far the tap stood off the bath
photo11.jpg
photo13.jpg
photo12.jpg
photo15.jpg
photo16.jpg
photo17.jpg

£ 3000 labour to rip out old bathroom and do plumbing and tiling. Took 5 weeks to do.

Sorry about the creaking necks lads

Last edited:

Reply to Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
  • Article
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen