Search the forum,

Discuss Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LOFTHOUSE

Re: Hall of shame....

Dang it! And they could of centered those back wall tiles differently, as we all know. As not to have less than half a tile on either side. GoofBalls/ConArtists.

D

david campbell

Here's one I started today....
Oddly enough, it took all day to get the floor up - only 12sqm.
I managed to get about a dozen off cleanly like this, the rest fought back, slicing my wrist and sending splinters into my arms :11:

The customer said she thought something was wrong, as the tiles "sang" when she swept them.

Floor lasted 12 years with no breaks - spot fixing: it's the future!

ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

L

LOFTHOUSE

Hey Rob Z.....

As we know, mastic is only good when used for kitchen backsplashes & shower ceilings. I try not to use it on shower surrounds, however......it has it's advantages in low doses.

It sucks to see someone try to "float" mastic, can't stand to float mortar anyhow.

Have Fun. Much respect for doing repairs. My only solution has been complete tearout, followed by precision construction. I won't do small fixits and such. No passion.

Again, Much Respect.

R

Rob Z

Hey Lofty,

We didn't do any repairs on any of that work. We completely gutted both bathrooms and the enie kitchen and redid all of it. Those poor homeowners got a pittance back from the contractor after a lengthy legal battle. And that guy is still in business, do crap work and taking people's money. :incazzato:

I wish I could put more photos on here but my CD device on the computer is DOA. :cuss:

S

Spud

just been out to look at a job tonight that a tiler had tiled ,he was recommended by the builder had a sign written van the job was tiled 3 weeks before xmas 45sqm of 60x60 he charged over £40 a metre here are a few pics not sure if i am allowed to post the names but the customer did tell me who this precision tiler is .materials used granfix spf on to 18mm ply wood floor screwed into joists 400 mm apart every 6-8 inchs apart, only the joists are floating not marine ply and the screws are dry lining screws not stainless wood screws and it was dot and dabbed and there is wet system ufh between the joists grout has cracked and loads of tiles are loose ,any way here are the pictures, be proud Darren ,you have made it into rogues gallery lol

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Total rip up then Gary, are they going to try and get some money back:yikes:

S

Spud

Total rip up then Gary, are they going to try and get some money back:yikes:
I will be writing a report for the customer so they can give it to the builder, they owe him several thousand but this wont cover the cost of the tiles and the fitting and the taking up the tiles and all the preparation for the new floor ,i recommended they went for amtico as there is deflection in the floor and i would never guarantee any tiling on a subfloor like that , the tiles were £45 a metre plus vat they have just had a smallbone kitchen fitted with built in storage space must have cost 60k which may have to be removed (ouch) there is no excuse for the lippage some tiles were lipping by 3-4mm over a 2-3mm joint there are chipped tiles and the joints were stepping terrible job worst of all they are a really nice decent couple we have to get our trade licensed asap

G

Grace'sDad

Gary, hey at least he used 18mm ply!

That is a corker of a job :hurray:

C

CBTC

Gary - thanks for the pictures and info - the work is appaling and is miles away from what is required in terms of prep and certainly fixing. This guy has absolutley misrepresented himself if he calls himself a tiler, signwritten van or no. What's interesting is where / how the work came to him through - since the client was choosing a Smallbones kitchen, as you say several thousands worth - you would expect greater scrutiny. Even so why did he turn in SUCH poor work. Is that his standard!? There must be many disatisfied customers of his, and any contractor still using him must be mad.
The point being that, as is not unusual, the tiling is often seen as a minor and less important part in the project by someone placing the work - yes the tiles themseves will be considered and ooohhd and aaahd over, but the lack of knowledge regarding proper installation is completely lacking.
I've just done a rip out for some people where the work was equally as bad, and the bloke was a recommedation; the tiling didnt even look that good, let alone what I found beneath (not) holding it on.
The client should go for him, he charged for proper work, and didn't even start to deliver it. To re-do all this the whole works on top would need to come out and start over.
Do we think he might use this forum and see the work!! ??

M

mart08

Just finished re-sealing all 18 baths that had according to maint manager sunk due to settlement in a 4* appartment block that is only 1 year old. After removing bath panels and adjusting bath legs (most were not even touching the floor) removing old silicone and replacing the manager told me to give him a quote for each bathroom if any tiling needed sorting. The pics show dot and dab (wondered why the brickbond was so lippy!) which the previous tiler had done and most of the grout is falling out. In some of the appartments the whole wall of tiles is moving!! If a health and safety man was there it would be closed down. The tiles 'were' fixed to skimmed plaster and I expect was not primed and there was no flexy addys or grouts used! For such a high class establishment this is true shooting from the hip cowboy style!:cowboy:

Attachments

• Photo0148.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Photo0147.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Photo0149.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 138
W

White Room

You can see that no primer was used, the addy has totaly debonded from the plaster

Reply to Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
  • Article
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen