Search the forum,

Discuss Tile spacers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

stephenoneill

often overlooked by many tilers a good tile spacer is important ;having used many over the years i have found the raimondi 3 mm spacer to be the best;the spacer is large and holds the tile perfectly in place and due to its shape it is easy to fit between the tiles and more importantly easy to remove; it does not bend and is easily cleaned with a quick soak overnight between jobs :well thats my lot about tile spacers lol

G

graham3

Hi where can you buy raimondi tile spacers just wondered if I can get them in my area.

C

charlie1

Rubi ones are very bendy, tile easy are ok, my favourite ones are the 2mm (actually 1.5mm) b&q ones!

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
See now I don't understand why some fixers remove their spacers after fixing, surely it's costly in time, which is money, you run the risk of chipping tiles and the times that I've seen it done it just doesn't look 'right'

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You remove them so you get a constant depth of grout and you don't leave jobs like this.

photo14.jpg

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
You only remove them if you use them as pegs?? Like me!

Fair enough but using them as pegs wasn't mentioned.

You remove them so you get a constant depth of grout and you don't leave jobs like this.

View attachment 49312

So your saying that all spacers should be removed because the depth, never left a spacer like the one in your picture so can't comment. I'm sure that not every fixer removes spacers and I'm equally sure that leaving them in is the norm.

I

Ian

If tiles aren't millimetre perfect, leaving them in doesn't work. I often have 3 sizes on the go if the tiles are a bit sizey, say 1.5/2/2.5mm, or use wedges.

C

charlie1

Fair enough but using them as pegs wasn't mentioned.

So your saying that all spacers should be removed because the depth, never left a spacer like the one in your picture so can't comment. I'm sure that not every fixer removes spacers and I'm equally sure that leaving them in is the norm.

yes, leaving them in is the norm, I've never seen a tiler in real life removing them if fitted properly. I only remove for obvious reasons but they are designed to be left in. have you seen any tiler removing all spacers fitted like above?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If tiles aren't millimetre perfect, leaving them in doesn't work. I often have 3 sizes on the go if the tiles are a bit sizey, say 1.5/2/2.5mm, or use wedges.

Yes Bri, I know that and use various combinations if it calls for it, but any measures taken still doesn't deflect from the fact that removing them is time and time is money ( if your on m2 ) as I used to do a lot of site work, and most tiles are not too bad in that you need to wedge every one.

yes, leaving them in is the norm, I've never seen a tiler in real life removing them if fitted properly. I only remove for obvious reasons but they are designed to be left in. have you seen any tiler removing all spacers fitted like above?

I know mate, I was being pedantic, and unfortunately yes, I have seen them removed afterwards, you see all sorts on sites.

Andrew

TF
Reaction score
Spacers however used should be removed. Grouting over them is poor practice in my opinion, especially where tiling is functional! floors, bathrooms, kitchen areas etc..

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Right I'm gonna bow out coz I really can't be bothered arguing the toss at the moment, if someone can post a link showing why it's poor practice and why I'll read it with interest.

Reply to Tile spacers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen