Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Spacers and Grout lines in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Proper Job

Hi it seems that a lot of people on here seem to want to know about grouts and grout spacer joints well here you go.

The purpose of a grout is to give the tiling its structural strength and also allow for movement but it does not expand if it did there would be no need for expansion joints end off.

What can be used for grout

1. Mortar (old way of grouting)
2.Tile and Grout ( D2T adhesive which can used for tiling and grouting)
3.Wall grout ( Type C for Cementious And G stands for Grout = CG and there is CG2 flexible)
4.Floor Grout ( Type C for Cementious And G stands for Grout = CG and there is CG2 flexible)
5.Epoxy Grout (Type R 2 part)
The above come in narrow, wide, flexible and antibacterial except for the Epoxy Grout.

The best grout of all is Epoxy you can’t get any better, its not cheap and it doesn’t spread very easy and its not recommended on all types of tiles and mainly used in kitchens and areas of where chemicals are used (area 51).

Water Proof and Water resistant

Water Proof means it can be submerged in water and not be effected, water resistant means it can take splashes of water in a few words and it won’t fail.

Antibacterial Grout which a few people in the trade say is a con normally contains a well known product called micro ban help stops mould and bacteria from growing. Epoxy does not need this because it is not porous.

What Is the Correct Spacer Size Or Grout line?

1.The tile spacer can enhance the appearance of the tiling. I always ask the customer what they want !!
2. When your setting your tiles out this can help you get round small cuts just increase the spacer by a 1mm and see what a difference it makes or decrease.
3. If you have irregular shape tiles use a wider grout line it works a like a charm.

Getting down to the technical sides of the correct size grout line is like a mine field because its like a catch 22. There are Pros and cons which in the domestic field of tiling does not really matter, its more in the commercial field of tiling where it counts

H

Holohana

Getting down to the technical sides of the correct size grout line is like a mine field because its like a catch 22. There are Pros and cons which in the domestic field of tiling does not really matter, its more in the commercial field of tiling where it counts
[/quote]

and british standards to work to! Floors are 5mm and walls 2-3 mm i think. Happy to be told otherwise mind. :thumbsup:

K

kok123

hi. i m new to this forum...
just want to ask actually what is the best grout lines for tiles between...?
normal white powder cement is just not good.
actually i want something that is long lasting and yet waterproof.
I remembered once i stayed at a hotel, the grout lines is as hard as a rock yet waterproof. It is white in colour. I tried to scracth it with a coin, really hard to rip off that grout sealant i think...
pls give me an idea !!!
Thanx in advance:yes:

B

Branty

Water Proof and Water resistant

Water Proof means it can be submerged in water and not be effected, water resistant means it can take splashes of water in a few words and it won’t fail.

Antibacterial Grout which a few people in the trade say is a con normally contains a well known product called micro ban help stops mould and bacteria from growing. Epoxy does not need this because it is not porous.

Waterproof means water can't pass through. The only product in tile aplications that is waterproof, is epoxy.
Cement based and D2 adhesives are water resistant. Which means they can get wet, but they won't break down.
Only BAL grouts have microban technology in them.

G

Gazzer

Waterproof means water can't pass through. The only product in tile aplications that is waterproof, is epoxy.
Cement based and D2 adhesives are water resistant. Which means they can get wet, but they won't break down.
Only BAL grouts have microban technology in them.

And Dunlop ?

D

Droopy

and british standards to work to! Floors are 5mm and walls 2-3 mm i think. Happy to be told otherwise mind. :thumbsup:

BS for walls is 2mm minimum and for floors 3mm minimum.

Talking about BS's, what is your take on the BS for backerboards being 10mm min for floors?
I only ask as I was told Hardiebacker say 6mm is their recommended thickness.
:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

BS for walls is 2mm minimum and for floors 3mm minimum.

Talking about BS's, what is your take on the BS for backerboards being 10mm min for floors?
I only ask as I was told Hardiebacker say 6mm is their recommended thickness.
:grin:

I haven't seen the new bs5385 for wall and floor tiling james....does it state this in the new revised edition...?..

D

Droopy

I haven't seen the new bs5385 for wall and floor tiling james....does it state this in the new revised edition...?..

For the backerboard thickness, Dave?

That is the min' we can recommend for overboarding, so I think it must be.

Reply to Tile Spacers and Grout lines in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen