Discuss Tile moving and grout breaking in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Irrelevant! She’s established it’s not been primed. You don’t even need to have ufh for this to happen. It’s a chemical reaction between screed and cement!
I missed that it hadn’t been primed. That won’t help either depending on the adhesive used of course… (I might have missed that as well)

Anthony

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I missed that it hadn’t been primed. That won’t help either depending on the adhesive used of course… (I might have missed that as well)
in all fairness bud, adhesive won’t play a part either, what happens is,as this type of screed dries the moisture rises to the top as it dries and forms a mineral on top, in effect a barrier between floor and tile,(so your sticking to the mineral and not the floor,this needs to be ground/sanded off then primed twice, one diluted,usually 1 part primer 3 parts water which will soak in and when dried,you will then go over again with neat primer.
Because even after sanding the calcium screed reacts all cement based adhesives hence the need to prime

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
in all fairness bud, adhesive won’t play a part either, what happens is,as this type of screed dries the moisture rises to the top as it dries and forms a mineral on top, in effect a barrier between floor and tile,(so your sticking to the mineral and not the floor,this needs to be ground/sanded off then primed twice, one diluted,usually 1 part primer 3 parts water which will soak in and when dried,you will then go over again with neat primer.
Because even after sanding the calcium screed reacts all cement based adhesives hence the need to prime
Hmm… best not get into a debate about anhydrite…

Reaction score
Hi all, since we last spoke I wanted to provide a bit of an update.
I got a professional tiler to come have a look at the problem. He had provided me with a report which clearly states no preparation of the floor as he found dust when he lifted the tile. The tile came off easily.
I have sent the toilet a letter with the report on mail and asked him to rectify the problem. He called me today evening two days after getting the letter and was screamy, not ready to accept responsibility. He said he didn't did any contract as we agreed things verbally and hung up on me.
I have been advised by citizens advice to give him 14 days in the letter and did give him the option of alternative dispute resolution before proceeding to the next stage.
I have tried to ask his friend to put some sense in him.
I do have his company details which was included in the letter. I have screenshots of the WhatsApp chats and the bank transfers.

Should I be hopeful?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A long shot. But there may be hope.

Any update now given the time passed?

T

Tajinder

A long shot. But there may be hope.

Any update now given the time passed?
Hi @Dan , I sent another letter which was the letter before court action. The tiler called me straight after receiving the letter and offered to visit. They brought someone with them as a mediator. We have them a tour of the shoddy work they had done but I wasn't surprised when they didn't accept any responsibility. Kept on blaming us by saying they applied what we had provided and that all liability lies with us. The mediator was more level headed and saw the argument for what it was. After numerous hours of phone calls we have another follow up on a few weeks time. The tiler did say they would rip and put the tiles down again this time with preparation. But the tiles have to be provided by us. We are going to speak again to see what their proposal is and maybe come to a compromise. I don't know if going to court is fruitful. From what I have read, the court will also recommend mediation. And am not sure if the court can mandate that the tiler pay the damages in full if the case decision is in my favor. It would be good to get some clarity if it's worth pursuing or not. New tiles aren't going to be cheap and we will have to live through the disruption.

Reaction score
taking the matter to court will cost thousands and take at least a year.
It's unfortunate but I would offer to pay for new tiles (if the old ones cannot be saved) and let him pay for adhesive and primer and provide the labour.

Rutters

TF
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread but I've seen this happen before on the type of screed described. And this was when the screed was dust free, primed with acrylic primer several times with movement joints installed and flexible cement based adhesive used as per manufacturer guidelines. What I believe solves this problem would be to install a decoupling Matting such as Ditra or a similar product. The substrate would need to have dried properly and prepared properly prior to fixing the Matt with flexible adhesive. Yes the cost would be more for the customer but it would avoid what's been explained in this thread.

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread but I've seen this happen before on the type of screed described. And this was when the screed was dust free, primed with acrylic primer several times with movement joints installed and flexible cement based adhesive used as per manufacturer guidelines. What I believe solves this problem would be to install a decoupling Matting such as Ditra or a similar product. The substrate would need to have dried properly and prepared properly prior to fixing the Matt with flexible adhesive. Yes the cost would be more for the customer but it would avoid what's been explained in this thread.
Hey Rutters, the mat was mentioned to us by Topps Tiles as recommended but the tiler didn't. I will keep that in mind for the rework. They aren't cheap as you said but a job well done says all this hassle.

Reaction score
It's unfortunate but I would offer to pay for new tiles (if the old ones cannot be saved) and let him pay for adhesive and primer and provide the labour.
Hi @Slippery thanks for the advice. Am going to talk to the tiler and his mediator and see where we can find common ground. The work will have to be done early summer next year now that we have started using the heating in the house.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So I've been out the game for a few years after a serious hand injury. Just getting back into the swing of things.
I can't believe it took until page 4 of responses before anyone mentioned sanding/removing the latence from the screed. This needs to be done on anhydrate screeds before you even think of priming it.

Hi @Dan , I sent another letter which was the letter before court action. The tiler called me straight after receiving the letter and offered to visit. They brought someone with them as a mediator. We have them a tour of the shoddy work they had done but I wasn't surprised when they didn't accept any responsibility. Kept on blaming us by saying they applied what we had provided and that all liability lies with us. The mediator was more level headed and saw the argument for what it was. After numerous hours of phone calls we have another follow up on a few weeks time. The tiler did say they would rip and put the tiles down again this time with preparation. But the tiles have to be provided by us. We are going to speak again to see what their proposal is and maybe come to a compromise. I don't know if going to court is fruitful. From what I have read, the court will also recommend mediation. And am not sure if the court can mandate that the tiler pay the damages in full if the case decision is in my favor. It would be good to get some clarity if it's worth pursuing or not. New tiles aren't going to be cheap and we will have to live through the disruption.
Small claims court is your way forward I feel.
A judge can order a QS to survey and provide a report and estimated cost of repair.
I perhaps would get a few quotes prior in preparation. Not sure I'd want the same guy back to fix it to be honest.
QS costs and cost of repair (including replacing tiles) will be a cost bared by the respondent
Nonsense.
Small claims court, can do it online. Is a fairly quick process and last time I had to go through it it was about £150

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So I've been out the game for a few years after a serious hand injury. Just getting back into the swing of things.
I can't believe it took until page 4 of responses before anyone mentioned sanding/removing the latence from the screed. This needs to be done on anhydrate screeds before you even think of priming it.

Small claims court is your way forward I feel.
A judge can order a QS to survey and provide a report and estimated cost of repair.
I perhaps would get a few quotes prior in preparation. Not sure I'd want the same guy back to fix it to be honest.
QS costs and cost of repair (including replacing tiles) will be a cost bared by the respondent

Nonsense.
Small claims court, can do it online. Is a fairly quick process and last time I had to go through it it was about £150
Hi @AliGage , thanks for responding. I haven't come across anyone bar you till date who is advocating going down the small claims court. I would like to get your perspective on this.
I have a quotation from a couple of traders which along with new tiles will cost us around 10k. The small claims court Make a court claim for money - https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees is £455 to bring you up to date. As per people there will be costs to be paid by myself for any surveys, mediation etc as he might not agree to come to the table.

I have already got a report done by a registered trader.
The issue I have is that there is no contract, or vat receipt, the trader isn't registered to a traders body. All I have is the chat of money requested and paid to the tiler, his company name registered to the companies house. I brought him the material and tiles, and as per him its my responsibility as I didn't supply the primer. He just did the work of setting the tiles.
Now currently I have him agreeing to clear and redo the tiles while I provide the tiles.

If I do put a small claim against them, and was able to get a decision in my favour - can they turn around show the accounts of being in loss as most vat registered businesses do and pay me a measly £50/£100 a month. That's what I have been told could happen.
This being my first running in with law I am not sure what to do. Ideally I would claim but will it be worth it.

Reaction score
So folks, it has been a while since the last update.
The tiler initially agreed to help out but has since stopped taking the phone calls and has been ignoring us.

I am at the stage where we are going to take the loss, learn and move on from it.

Will are going to take the tiles up, clearing / levelling the floor, priming (x2), decoupling mat put down, then new tiles on top. This is going to happen this summer to everything to settle before underfloor heating is utilised in winter.

Just a very frustrating experience.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about it all! It sucks.

But you know how it should be done now so know what to watch out for.

Do you have a tiler now then or are you tackling it?

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about it all! It sucks.

But you know how it should be done now so know what to watch out for.

Do you have a tiler now then or are you tackling it?

Hey Dan,

Thanks. Hope we have it all covered now.

Re: Tiler. I do have someone who did the bathroom tiles. I played dumb with him when I asked him to check the floor tiling work. Questioned him what he would go on about tiling a UFH and the process. He said the correct things.

Should I be worried? Or do you have something in mind?

Reply to Tile moving and grout breaking in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks