Discuss Tile edging finishes in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
Wondering what the options (and fashions) are for edging. Particularly outside corner edges. What do you guys use, what do you prefer?
Trim, butting, bull nose, mitering?

-Trim: curved, square, mitred, inverted?

-Butting, does anyone do this?

-Bull nose seems nice. To use that, do you have to find a tile range that also makes a bull nose tile or did i see someone say they made the bull nose them self from a normal tile?

-Mitering. Saw localtilers link to a pic of that the other day. Dealing with sharp edges and seemingly a lot of work to execute doesn't seem worth it for the resultant finish to me.

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
One of the reasons I ask, is this awkward transition, form the bath that sits almost the same height as window sill.

I dont feel building window sill up is a good idea, as tiles will start to obscure window framing and will look odd i think. Was looking to make the window sill finish almost flush with the bath -a tad higher and slight slope towards the bath to avoid collecting water. If a tile is placed on sill, it rests on top of bath edge so thats how close they are currently matched.

But the bath doesnt run the entire length of the window sill, so then have to transition to the rest of window sill. Not sure en edging strip would work along window sill, as it would sit straight onto bath, so a bit uneasy about how that would look. Alternative is is to rest horizontal sill tile almost onto bath edge (not touching, so that silicone can go under) then put an edging strip along the rest of sill.But also feel a bit uneasy how that would look. I had a chrome trim in mind, but mayb if it was white it wouldnt look too strange. The tiles are Calcatta porcs that you can see at bottom front.

IMG_0140.JPG IMG_1343.JPG

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
What tiles are you using on the walls?
Wall tiles are calacatta porcelains, that you can see in bottom right corner of top image.

And ya, being mindful of cables. Client wanted bath in asap, as living in the house. So did enough floor to set bath. Now gotta get loo and sink in, before continuing tiling.

G

GoneGuy

Only a suggestion, tile wall etc as normal and use a piece of marble as a window sill, debated to overhang and meet the bath? Or a piece of oak etc

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just be careful how much adhesive is being used on the wall tiles, looks pretty thick to me, and you really want to get that paint off if it’s still round the window.

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
Only a suggestion, tile wall etc as normal and use a piece of marble as a window sill, debated to overhang and meet the bath? Or a piece of oak etc
Ah thats a good idea Adey, the marble. Was thinking to overhang tile to make a slight lip on window sill if needed, but was a bit uneasy about that look, not to mention danger of tile edge breaking in time. Not keen on the wood idea, because of the water element.

Just be careful how much adhesive is being used on the wall tiles, looks pretty thick to me, and you really want to get that paint off if it’s still round the window.

And Boggs, Wall opposite backer boards didnt need boards, was painted plaster skim, so I have scraped all paint off there, cause its a big wall, tiled floor to ceiling. (Well top layer of paint came off, the one under that does not at all, so thats staying and presumably will). But window sill, small area, so not too worried about that. But still, scraping off paint where it comes off. If it doesnt with moderate effort (well thats subjective innit) then it stays on and again, presumably will do after tiling.

But about the adhesive, does it matter if its thick? Using an 8mm trowel on wall and backskimming tiles a few mms (or is it backbuttering, cant remember which is which, im doing it flat on, ie not using a notched trowel to bead it, just scraping it on).

Last edited:

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oh ok, it maybe looks thicker in the photo than it is.
But you will be over the weight limit for porcelain on skimmed walls paint or no paint.

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
Yes weight limit is close, tiles just over 18kg/msq and mapei say coverage of adhesive is about 2.5kg/msq. They dont say what trowel thats with though. Is there a rule of thumb for adhesive weight?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Normally you should be allowing 4kg sqm for adhesive and grout.
This allows for a 2mm compressed bed of adhesive.

Reply to Tile edging finishes in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks