Discuss Tile backer board under the shower tray or upto the tray? And shower tray installation method? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JaonsS

hello

The floor is 18mm WBP Ply fixed to the floor joists.

Is it best to fit the hardie backer board over the whole floor, and then fit the shower tray onto the backer board, or fit the tray onto the ply floor then butt the backer board upto the edge of the tray?

Also, the tray instructions say to fit the tray onto minimum 18mm Ply using a sand and cement mix.
Ive only ever fitted trays onto a sand and cement mix but I see quite a few posts of people using tile adhesive and some even using silicone/nonails.
Whats the best way to fit the tray to either the ply or the backer board? Stick with the sand/cement method or go with tile adhesive?

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I wouldn't put backboard under the tray. Tile adhesive is my choice to bed the tray. As above sand/cement is too thin. Most important thing is to make sure the floor is sound with no movement.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Fit the backer boards after fitting the tray. This, when boarded and tiled, will make the tray look nice amd low. You can fit most trays with tile adhesive ( I do) powdered flexi. Put silicone on the edges that go against the wall. Make sure you prime the floor and back of tray. Only use silicone to stick down if the floor and tray are perfectly flat.
When fitting the backer boards, keep them a few mm from the tray and fill the gap with silicone. This will stop the boards from squeaking! When there is any movement. ( there should be none! But do it anyway)

D

Dumbo

hello

The floor is 18mm WBP Ply fixed to the floor joists.

Is it best to fit the hardie backer board over the whole floor, and then fit the shower tray onto the backer board, or fit the tray onto the ply floor then butt the backer board upto the edge of the tray?

Also, the tray instructions say to fit the tray onto minimum 18mm Ply using a sand and cement mix.
Ive only ever fitted trays onto a sand and cement mix but I see quite a few posts of people using tile adhesive and some even using silicone/nonails.
Whats the best way to fit the tray to either the ply or the backer board? Stick with the sand/cement method or go with tile adhesive?
I have fitted a shower tray to a flat floor using silicone and it has failed . Ie cracked not had that yet with Tile adhesive . Although floor maybe flat not all shower trays are perfectly flat on the back . Recommend doing dry fit first the checking ĺevel with spirit level to see where you may need to use slightly more adhesive.

D

Dumbo

Bloody multitraders, fitting shower trays, whatever next... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
If I could I would not get involved in any remedial work or installation of of other products and just Tile. I don't even like installation of ufh

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm guilty of sticking a tray or 2 down even fitted a few shower screens and built a few boxing ins sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do

W

WetSaw

My van needs a new windscreen if anyone fancy having a go at it

Unfortunately with most being bonded now it's a pain but I've fitted loads in the past with my trusty bit of string!

The multitrader post was in jest, I prefer to do everything. I've got no one to moan at then for bad prep, being late etc!!

Reaction score
Wouldn't of thought there is any reason why you can't Hardie board the floor completely and then bed tray down over said HB with SPF.

Reply to Tile backer board under the shower tray or upto the tray? And shower tray installation method? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley