Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss This Is Why People Should Ask Tilers And Not Builders, For Tiling Advise! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

This is the greatest forum in the world EVER..... [Now thats the arse kissing out the way] I do occasionally find myself wandering of to diynot.com to see if I can offer my two pennies worth to people who might need it.

Some of the advise given if you read through their tiling section is truly priceless. An example if I may:

A. Customer, 1st post
"Hi
I'm in the process of deciding Wetherby to tile or lino my bathroom floor and need some help in deciding.
Currently I have 22mm tongue and groove floor boards screwdriver into the joist.
Each board is about 100mm wide I think.
Do I still need to ply board the area and if so what size thickness would be sufficient.
The tiled area would be approx 2 by 2.5 meters."

A. Customer, 2nd post
"Also would this adhesive be OK to use?" ***Image shown of Mapegrip D2***

***At this point he must have been out and bought some tiles and is in the process of setting them out.***

A. Customer, 3rd post
"Hi
I'm setting out the tiles and have a question regarding a small pieces just by the door.
Will it be ok to tile this in with a narrow cut just by the door entry or should I pull all the tiles in and make a cut in a full piece and cut the others along the wall down too?"

A. Builder, Expert reply :)
"Make sure all the existing boards are well screwed down, now just lay some 6 - 9 mm ply down, and remember to glue it down don't just rely on nails or staples.
a nice coat of unibond and you're ready for tiling. make sure that you use flexi tile adhesive for wood flooring. good luck"

6-9mm ply.... NO
Glue down.... NO
Nails or Stables... NO
Unibond.... NO
Flexi Adhesive... YES
Narrow cuts.... Failed to answer. Half a point for it not being wrong.

Congratulations fine builder sir, you score a very professional 1.5 out of 6!

Some I choose to correct if i'm in a sympathetic mood. Some I don't, but I can't feel guilty about that! I mainly only use it for amusement and giggles :) Am I a bad person?

T

Tile Shop

Glueing and nailing/stapling???

I wouldn't begrudge a bit of glue if it was being screwed aswell, but what advantage would it give if it is being screwed, unless being used for levelling purposes?

I'll take your point and be generous. He can have another half point. Takes him to 2 out of 6. :)

E

ExplodingPudding

Or just cut the s**t and put some 6mm Hardiebacker boards down. Some of the crap Unibond sell is ridiculous. Just sold 5m of metro this week and the customer is using Bal Green Star as adhesive and grout. No matter how hard I explained that it's JUST AN ADHESIVE (yes I did almost shout and pull my own hair out) they said that "No, you don't know what your on about. It''s the same as Unibond stuff". Worst part was he was a builder....

Reply to This Is Why People Should Ask Tilers And Not Builders, For Tiling Advise! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks