Search the forum,

Discuss The Use Of The Multi Tool in the Tiling Tools | Tile Tools - Tile Installing Tools area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Got a few grout rake outs on the horizon so this is the baby. Love tools
Well I'd probably visit a decent tool stockist if I could and try a few for weight and balance. Try and gauge what would be comfortable to use.
Personally I've been Ryobi + one stuff lately.
Semi pro gear, dunno bout u but I use a multi tool maybe once a week, the impact drivers deliver 220nm which is way above anyone else's
The cordless grinder is dead handy for light work and doin mitre's
I find its good all round gear, and what's more the 4ah betteries are excellent and pretty much everything is priced at £60-£90
Which for the amount of use I give each individual piece is a bargain.
The impact driver is indestructible, and the multitool is very versatile.
But it's not the lightest of equipement in comparison to some!
But it's half the price.
I have 3 4ah batteries and it's more than enough for any task. Imo. :)

But then I have 3 multitool's several drills, 3 grinders, battery, mains and variable speed and so on and so on! Haha
I just like tools! (Machinery! Not to be confused with anything else!) :D

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Well I'd probably visit a decent tool stockist if I could and try a few for weight and balance. Try and gauge what would be comfortable to use.
Personally I've been Ryobi + one stuff lately.
Semi pro gear, dunno bout u but I use a multi tool maybe once a week, the impact drivers deliver 220nm which is way above anyone else's
The cordless grinder is dead handy for light work and doin mitre's
I find its good all round gear, and what's more the 4ah betteries are excellent and pretty much everything is priced at £60-£90
Which for the amount of use I give each individual piece is a bargain.
The impact driver is indestructible, and the multitool is very versatile.
But it's not the lightest of equipement in comparison to some!
But it's half the price.
I have 3 4ah batteries and it's more than enough for any task. Imo. :)

But then I have 3 multitool's several drills, 3 grinders, battery, mains and variable speed and so on and so on! Haha
I just like tools! (Machinery! Not to be confused with anything else!) :D
I've seen that gear in tradepont, didn't think it was worth a look. Might have to give it a second look... Not a Screw fix fan @3_fall?

O

Old Mod

I've seen that gear in tradepont, didn't think it was worth a look. Might have to give it a second look... Not a Screw fix fan @3_fall?

Buying tools is a minefield!
Lots of variables to consider, price is always the first, scope of use, how often will I actually use it.
How long do I expect it to last for the money.
When I bought the Ryobi grinder recently I had low expectation for £60
But was on a job where I needed two grinders on the go at my workstation but kept finding I needed one where I was working too!
As it was no where near where my main workstation was and I got fed up with carting a grinder and transformer up to the bathroom I decided to get the cordless one to try, figured for £60 it was a educated gamble, and for me it paid off! So one upstairs in bathroom and two permanently set up at my workstation. One for cutting one for grinding, which meant just carrying tiles not equipement as well. Haha
If I was a joiner, the Ryobi may not cut it on a full time basis, well the impact driver would, so my choices may well be different.
At the end of the day, misused tools break, whether u spend £5-£500, so if u spend a fortune on something u use infrequently and it's just chucked in the motor till next time, whenever that maybe, it stands just as much chance of getting broken as anything else. Not that I or u intentionally misuse tools, but crap happens.
Spend your money wisely if it's in short supply, other opportunities will arise down the line.
But one thing I definitely do not do is borrow tools!!
U know it'll break when u look at it, and if I need it once, then I'll need it again, so I'll always go buy one. Might not make the best choice at the time but with experience u generally get it almost right.

Oh and to comment on your statement about Ryobi, keep your eye out in tradepoint/B&Q for deals on Ryobi, they don't come round often cos it's cheap anyway. What I will say, it's not the crap it used to be! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the essay but not been posting much lately cos I been busy and I got carried away! Hahaha

O

Old Mod

Not a Screw fix fan @3_fall?

I'm a fan of whoever has the best deal at the time for exactly what I want!
I'm very fickle when it comes to buying tools, I have no loyalties! Haha :rolleyes:
But I do find it helps to get to know your retailers when it comes to buying anything and not just order on line.
Call them, get to know at least one person, eventually u'll start getting better prices!
Except in chain stores!
Independents are the way to go.

Reaction score
Does anyone use multi tool for removing old grout or broken tiles?
Hi Andy - Yes i have a Fein 350 multimaster and I use diamond blades from Saxton (cheaper). I have done a fair amount of regrouting jobs and even after 6 hours ( yes true) the Fein is easy to handle. I sometimes use it as well for tidying up cuts as it is better than a file and it makes short work of getting the grout out if you want to seperate a tile for lifting. Good for trimming battens, hardiebacker and other wooden stuff too of course.

I

Ian

If you're doing a fair amount or regrouting, it has to be a corded multi tool, even with 4 or 5 ah batteries, you'll still be using a few if you've got hours and hours of raking out to do. Cordless is a godsend at times but, I wouldn't want it as my only option. I have a 240v fein and it's an awesome piece of kit.

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
Temptation has got the better of me

WP_20151230_001.jpg

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
Dewalt DWE315SF. £100 at screwfix, along with a pack of blades (50 quid) and a carbide blade for grout removal (18). Just couldn't help myself

Reply to The Use Of The Multi Tool in the Tiling Tools | Tile Tools - Tile Installing Tools area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen