Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss The Use Of The Multi Tool in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I've been reading who uses a multi cutter on doors and architraves etc to get a tile to slide under, but do these cutters work on cutting tiles and has anyone any experience of this?

When I was having my drama the other week, trying to envelope a tile that was too big for my wet cutter (see how do I cut this? thread) the general consensus was to cut it with a grinder. Did it, neatish job, customer happy.

But what if its thrashing it down with rain outside, nowhere to get the grinder out (too much dust for inside). Never heard of a tiler being rained off! Can the multi tool cut tiles or is a combination of grinder and wet cutter the only solution?

Your thoughts please.....

B

Bill

Afternoon all.

I've been reading who uses a multi cutter on doors and architraves etc to get a tile to slide under, but do these cutters work on cutting tiles and has anyone any experience of this?

When I was having my drama the other week, trying to envelope a tile that was too big for my wet cutter (see how do I cut this? thread) the general consensus was to cut it with a grinder. Did it, neatish job, customer happy.

But what if its thrashing it down with rain outside, nowhere to get the grinder out (too much dust for inside). Never heard of a tiler being rained off! Can the multi tool cut tiles or is a combination of grinder and wet cutter the only solution?

Your thoughts please.....
Buy a pop up shelter.......... then you can cut outdoor or use 110v stuff and you can still cut outdoor or buy a decent battery grinder and you can still work outdoor

P

p4ulo

I'm not sure you could get a multi-tool to start up gently enough to get it in place nicely (does that make sense) also, because it oscillates back and forth, I think you'd be looking at some chippage at each end of the cut, whereas a grinder / wet wheel presents a continuous or at least a cutting blade that only spins in one direction....

O

Old Mod

Bosch do a diamond half disc specifically aimed at cutting tiles,
I've not tried it or bought one, they're £49.99! :eek:

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
The grinder seems to be the best option. £50 a blade and no-one knows if it'll work! Not going to risk trying it. Still want a multi tool though

O

Old Mod

Does anyone use multi tool for removing old grout or broken tiles?

For grout yes, tiles .......not that I can ever remember.
Just old reliable SDS and hammer and bolster/chisel/screwdriver/wood chisel/ anything pointy/ bigger hammer/ or client! :D

Just a slight different direction to @ANDY F post, which are best, battery or cabled versions?

Both have their merits, battery can be convenient and quick.. Stops u having to find power but can be restrictive cos they tend to be bulkier.
Cabled have more grunt, are generally smaller, but finding power can be a pain and getting tangled in the cable when you're in a tight space is grounds for smashing it against a wall!:D

Hope this helps!!!:p:p

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What should I invest my Christmas money in?
For grout yes, tiles .......not that I can ever remember.
Just old reliable SDS and hammer and bolster/chisel/screwdriver/wood chisel/ anything pointy/ bigger hammer/ or client! :D

Both have their merits, battery can be convenient and quick.. Stops u having to find power but can be restrictive cos they tend to be bulkier.
Cabled have more grunt, are generally smaller, but finding power can be a pain and getting tangled in the cable when you're in a tight space is grounds for smashing it against a wall!:D

Hope this helps!!!:p:p

I thought that, very convenient, saves not getting extension wires out etc, so think I'll plug for that.

:)

you can spend it on my new multi tool and post it up if you like!!!! ;)

O

Old Mod

Well depends on how much we're talking about,
and how many toys u need? :D

I have a full kit and some!! (I like toys, ask Ali or Gary! Haha)

But I could comfortable spend a grand on just a new laser and laser measure right this second.
And that's without the other 5grand on cutting equipement and associated tools!:D

It's all about priority for me, if I want something, I get that first!
If I NEED something, that probably comes last! Hahha

Reply to The Use Of The Multi Tool in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks