Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking failed AGAIN in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
has the plaster work been polished by the plasterer?

Apparently not, and he's sanded it in anyway.. If it hadn't happened twice, I'd have thought there was still some dust from the sanding!?! To me, it can only be the wrong mix with the primer, some sort of contamination on the paster, or a faulty primer..

R

Rossymcg

Spoke with the Mega rep yesterday, he assures me that the peeling is normal,
as long as it's not falling off and it has some resistance, also in the colder months it could take longer to dry out.
ive re checked it and yes it has bonded better but still not sure about what the rep had said

Reaction score
Peeling is not normal!!! How can that ever be normal?

Spoke with the Mega rep yesterday, he assures me that the peeling is normal,
as long as it's not falling off and it has some resistance, also in the colder months it could take longer to dry out.
ive re checked it and yes it has bonded better but still not sure about what the rep had said

How can any peeling be acceptable... let alone normal!

O

Old Mod

Tell him u want it in writing so if it all peels off when tiled u can tell the client "oh it's quite normal!" :rofl:

P

prceramics

some primers you have to tank while the primer is still wet for instance the ultra one says on the 2nd coat of primer aply the layer when the primer has turned clear in colour but still wet

T

True Tiling

Was a bonding coat applied before plastering? If so, this will extend the time moisture needs to escape before covering it over; up to 2 months depending on the depth of the bonding coat and plaster and temperature.
I suspect that moisture is trying to escape, thus de-bonding the covering you are placing prematurely on it. Is it an external wall? (if so, you may have damp/condensation issues which will cause de-bonding)
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rossymcg

Was a bonding coat applied before plastering? If so, this will extend the time moisture needs to escape before covering it over; up to 2 months depending on the depth of the bonding coat and plaster and temperature.
I suspect that moisture is trying to escape, thus de-bonding the covering you are placing prematurely on it. Is it an external wall? (if so, you may have damp/condensation issues which will cause de-bonding)
Hope this helps.
1 wall is an external wall but I used gypliner and Kingspan in between studs to create a thermal barrier and decouple plasterboard from external wall,
interbal wall was dot and dabbed, where tanking has been painted on the plaster board at the bottom of the walls it's stuck solid,
im seriously puzzled

T

True Tiling

Me too. I can only think that some kind of moisture-trap has been created intercavity.
I can't fathom anything else.

T

TJ Smiler

Do you know if a cement based adhesive will stick to the p/board? if it does then maybe you could waterproof by using a matting rather than tanking. not sure about this peeling thing, don't sound right to me unless your really digging your finger nails into it and working it off.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some of the older popular (sometimes not so popular) threads. Probably wont be current discussion these days but I just need to do it. So just ignore the thread if it's not current for you.

Reply to Tanking failed AGAIN in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen