Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking failed AGAIN in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

So it is the primer which is failing then.

Are using the primer neat? in not and you are diluting then what ratio?

Basically the primer is too strong and is drying out before it can get a good bond to the plaster.

C

Colour Republic

To be fair after just reading the destructions it could be miss read.

However it should be 3:1. But with very dry plaster I would be inclined to do 2 coats. one at maybe 4:1 then one coat at 2:1. But check with technical.

R

Rossymcg

I never get the plasterer to over polish, people think it's the sign of good plastering when it looks like glass but the emulsion doesn't key in to it,
i sanded it anyway always do when I'm adhering anything to it,
with the palace tanking I mixed 100ml of palace sbr primer with 400mls of water,
with the mega tanking I mixed 100ml of mega sbr with 300ml of water, this is exactly what the instructions say on the bottles,
ive dine everything right, one rep said to me they'd had problems with thistle finish and peeling but these walls are plastered with multi finish

C

Colour Republic

their primers don't seem to work then. As the primer shouldn't peel.

As mentioned, try adrex. Seems bomb proof compared to most other paint on tanking

R

Rossymcg

I used the palace primer for the tiles outside of the shower area and they're solid, the tanking that's painted on to the shower tray and aqua panel on the floor is solid, it's just not keyd in to the plaster for some reason,

W

White Room

I never get the plasterer to over polish, people think it's the sign of good plastering when it looks like glass but the emulsion doesn't key in to it,
i sanded it anyway always do when I'm adhering anything to it,
with the palace tanking I mixed 100ml of palace sbr primer with 400mls of water,
with the mega tanking I mixed 100ml of mega sbr with 300ml of water, this is exactly what the instructions say on the bottles,
ive dine everything right, one rep said to me they'd had problems with thistle finish and peeling but these walls are plastered with multi finish

Multi is called Thistle Multi Finish but the one that some guys were having problems with is Thistle Uni-Finish which supposedly you did'nt need any pva if plastering a old Artex ceiling for example and causing serious issues.

Can't find it on BG's website, do think they don't sell it anymore....hopefully.

O

On one

The Ardex tanking kit sticks like the stuff that sticks to a passing dog!, shame it comes in the same colour as my pencil lead.....a lighter colour would be helpful Mr Ardex:thumbsup:

Reaction score
I've used both and no problems. The mega kit is pretty common in these parts, I'm nearly sure their kit requires the priming done neat. I will go & read one here to confirm. Both kits dry fairly quickly especially the mega one. I normally use weber where I'm supplying myself but I've no probs with either of these. I've even used mega SBR primer for other tiling & no problems. I did have a "Benfer" kit peel on me once. It was green from memory and slightly " gritty". Never seen it again thankfully :)

P

Peter

One to steer clear of is the Everbuild Aquaseal kit. The tape etc is good but the paint doesn't go on very well and takes aaages to dry.

Reply to Tanking failed AGAIN in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen