Discuss Tanking failed AGAIN in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rossymcg

As previously posted I had a palace tanking kit peel from the walls 4 weeks after plastering, they sent out another kit peeled again 7 weeks after plastered,,
now over 8 weeks later a mega tanking kit has peeled, it's seriously doing my swede in, any ideas?
I've only ever used painted on kits what are my other options?

S

Sean SML Tiling

Your either doung something wrong or there is a serious issue with palace tanking. Is it possible to board with schulter kerdi board then use their tape then that would be waterproof

R

Rossymcg

Not only the palace tanking also the mega tanking,
i sand down the surface lightly of the plaster, get dust of surface with a dust brush and damp cloth,
prime and then when dry tape and tank,
Not much else I can do reallyreally

afright

TF
Reaction score
Had major problems a few years back with Palace now I will not use there products.I use the Ardex tanking system never had a problem.

S

Sean SML Tiling

Im yet to use the ardex but have a small bathroom coming up and will be using it as its at a good price in ctd

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've been converted to ardex. It sticks like a good un and goes off quick. Write off any tools that come in contact!!

O

One Day

I've been converted to ardex. It sticks like a good un and goes off quick. Write off any tools that come in contact!!

Soak them quickly, in hot water is poss. It will resoften if you get them in quickly enough.
Ruins clothes though!

R

Rossymcg

What primer are you using and diluting it to the correct ratio?
With the palace tanking I used the primer that came in their kit and mixed it as per their instructions 1 and 4, with the mega paint I used mega sbr as per their instructions 1 in 3, people say mix it to different strengths but I mix it to the instructions and then I'm never done it wrong come a situation like this,
how much is the Ardex one? I don't really trade with ctd,

C

Colour Republic

Couple of questions for you.

how are you applying the tanking? Brush, roller, trowel?
how thick are you applying it, 0.5m 1/2/3/5..mm?

lastly when it peels from the wall, what can you sea underneath, bare plaster or primer?

R

Rossymcg

Couple of questions for you.

how are you applying the tanking? Brush, roller, trowel?
how thick are you applying it, 0.5m 1/2/3/5..mm?

lastly when it peels from the wall, what can you sea underneath, bare plaster or primer?

brushing on the tanking, palace tanking is the thick rubbery type that went on about 1 mm thick applied as per the instructions,
the mega tanking only goes on thin maybe 0.5mm has to be painted on in one direction 1st coat then opposite way next coat,
when it's peeling from the wall the primer is coming away from the plaster, on the back of the peeled tanking its a pink plaster coloured haze

Reply to Tanking failed AGAIN in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks