Discuss subfloor for slate tile floor on hallway in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I would like to install slate tile on the hallway and foyer (blue rectangles) of my house. However, I don't think the framing in the hallway meets the L/720 deflection necessary for natural stone. So I was hoping I could get some advice and opinion on fixes and feasibility of such a project.

The joists are douglas fir 2x8 16" on center with a length of 13.5 ft (yellow dimension). The supporting beam runs along the center wall (red line). With these specs, I get an L/221 deflection. Unfortunately, I have a finished basement, so sistering the joists is not feasible. I want to match the height of the hardwood installed in my living room, which gives my 3/8" on top of the existing 3/4" plywood that is already there (the stone tile has a thickness of 3/8"); 1/8" or even a 1/4" above the hardwood would be ok, but undesirable.
layout top floor mod2.jpg

Given that the hallway is adjacent to the support beam, I expect the deflection would be minimal. This is not considered typically considered by deflection calculators. Would this help at all? Does it make a difference?

I've also read about products like blanke permat that may mitigate deflection, but it seems this only minimizes the deflection of the subfloor, not the joists themselves, correct?

Any comment or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to subfloor for slate tile floor on hallway in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks