Discuss Starting up a tiling business in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi
Just after any advice on starting up as a tiler , same old stuck in a dead end boring job need a change of career. The only thing is i'm 47 years old is that to old !!! I have done a few jobs in the past and enjoyed it and recently did the uk pro tiling home course. Its taking the step to go out and do it for a living

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks for your time
Nathan

Reaction score
This is a very interesting question which is close to my heart and I might be able to give you some useful advice on, as I was in a similar position to you when I was 30:

I decided that I was fed up with working for other people, and thought that tiling would be a good trade to get into as self-employed, as I imagined that it would be an easy enough thing to do when compared to plastering or plumbing. It's sticking tiles on walls and floors isn't it?

Not that easy to learn how to do that properly I soon found out. 2 week tiling courses which you pay a big sum for are a plenty, but they won't teach you much at all. I didn't fall down that trap:

I knew that I had to work with an experienced tiler whist taking a proper course over at least 2 years for me to learn and have the confidence to go into somebodies home and fix their expensive tiles properly. It took me 1 year to get enrolled in a 2 year course at Leeds College of Building (1 day per week) after eventually finding a good tiler to learn from (mainly watch) the other 4 days.

The problem with being older is, I don't think any tiler is able to get apprentice funding for somebody your age. The other issue is that you would need to pay college fees unless you don't have any GSCE's. I was paid £60 per week by the guy who took me on for 4 days per week, and I paid my college fees on top. I drained the savings I had to learn to tile , because I was 30 years old. That was my experience anyway. It might be different now.

The other thing you need to consider is how your physical health is at 47. That's my age now, and I'm doing alright as I only started proper at 30 years of age (some blokes have been battering themselves since 16 years old) but you need to consider that there is a lot of heavy lifting, going up and down stairs with 25Kg plus all day long. Probably the most taxing part on the body is the constant bending and crouching which takes it's toll on knee and foot joints. Good knee pads and footwear are a must. It's not the heaviest of jobs, but it needs a good degree of physical ability. I reckon I might get to 60 years old before it becomes an issue, and I'll need another change of career.

Hope this is of help to you friend.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a very interesting question which is close to my heart and I might be able to give you some useful advice on, as I was in a similar position to you when I was 30:

I decided that I was fed up with working for other people, and thought that tiling would be a good trade to get into as self-employed, as I imagined that it would be an easy enough thing to do when compared to plastering or plumbing. It's sticking tiles on walls and floors isn't it?

Not that easy to learn how to do that properly I soon found out. 2 week tiling courses which you pay a big sum for are a plenty, but they won't teach you much at all. I didn't fall down that trap:

I knew that I had to work with an experienced tiler whist taking a proper course over at least 2 years for me to learn and have the confidence to go into somebodies home and fix their expensive tiles properly. It took me 1 year to get enrolled in a 2 year course at Leeds College of Building (1 day per week) after eventually finding a good tiler to learn from (mainly watch) the other 4 days.

The problem with being older is, I don't think any tiler is able to get apprentice funding for somebody your age. The other issue is that you would need to pay college fees unless you don't have any GSCE's. I was paid £60 per week by the guy who took me on for 4 days per week, and I paid my college fees on top. I drained the savings I had to learn to tile , because I was 30 years old. That was my experience anyway. It might be different now.

The other thing you need to consider is how your physical health is at 47. That's my age now, and I'm doing alright as I only started proper at 30 years of age (some blokes have been battering themselves since 16 years old) but you need to consider that there is a lot of heavy lifting, going up and down stairs with 25Kg plus all day long. Probably the most taxing part on the body is the constant bending and crouching which takes it's toll on knee and foot joints. Good knee pads and footwear are a must. It's not the heaviest of jobs, but it needs a good degree of physical ability. I reckon I might get to 60 years old before it becomes an issue, and I'll need another change of career.

Hope this is of help to you friend.
Yes that’s great information thanks very much for your time
I know it’s difficult when age isn’t on your side 🙈

Reaction score
Yes that’s great information thanks very much for your time
I know it’s difficult when age isn’t on your side 🙈
Like I said. It depends if you have the strength and money to not earn much for at least 2 years and then take up a physical job.

These 2 week courses advertised everywhere are a load of rubbish. You will learn NOTHING of fixing tiles in the real world.

Reply to Starting up a tiling business in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks