Search the forum,

Discuss Slate on WBP ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

finnmccool

Hello I'm about to lay a slate floor on 18m WPB plywood, I will be using the usual flexible adhesive & grout' but have been advised that this is sometimes not enough & that I should prime the surface before tiling' or risk the slate lifting.
Does anyone have any advice on which primer I should use?
The last slate floor I did some time ago' had underfloor heating' a and I used a heat reflective floor primer and have had no problems' but this may be more luck than judgement!
Thanks
Ciaran

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: we are in the process of a slate floor, on plywood and with UFH.

To overcome the movement that could be expected within the plywood and at the joins, we overboarded with 6mm cement tile backer boards, laid the UFH with the Fast set flexible adhesive and fixed the slate direct to this prepared surface. As for the primer I'd go with the adhesive manufacturers own primer for wood surfaces.

F

finnmccool

Thanks John! I was hoping to avoid raising the floor any higher but if it eliminates the risk' then its worth the effort. I'm not putting UFH on this floor' if it makes a difference? How do you fix the tile backer board' glued or screwed?
Many thanks!
Ciaran

D

doug boardley

Thanks John! I was hoping to avoid raising the floor any higher but if it eliminates the risk' then its worth the effort. I'm not putting UFH on this floor' if it makes a difference? How do you fix the tile backer board' glued or screwed?
Many thanks!
Ciaran
both.. glued and screwed, (using flexible adhesive)

Reply to Slate on WBP ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen