Search the forum,

Discuss Slate floor tile on a floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

karinia

Hi everybody,

First post where there's a lot of knowledgeable people.

In the coming weeks we'll be ready to put down a slate tile on to a kitchen floor which is of a floating floor construction. This is the tile we'll be using:-

Natural Slate Sheera Modular

I've already bought good quality flexible adhesive as I know there's some spring in a floating floor. However, Topps Tiles recommended we purchase either 12.5mm plywood or 6mm cement board to lay over the floating floor before laying the tile.

Would this be worth the cost or should we just ensure that the floating floor is secured by adding more screws?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Lyn.

D

DHTiling

Hello Lyn and welcome....

Honest opinion..?........Floating floors should not be tiled...It will be a disaster waiting to happen IMO...:thumbsdown:

All adhesive manufactures will advise that the floor is virtually deflection free before tiling..and you cannot guarantee that with a floating floor..

D

DHTiling

Topps tiles should have advised about the problems with tiling a floating floor...

We can only advise the best way and thats not to do it....

I am fully aware this is not the news you wanted to hear Lyn....but we will not lie to you and say ye!! go ahead and tile it...

There is a very high risk of the tiles debonding in the near future....

The risk is totally yours and any tiler worth his salt will NOT tile it for you...:thumbsup:

pete f

TF
Arms
Reaction score
with the guys above take the tiles back to topps and explain that you should have been advised that to tile a floating floor is a no no before you bought them insist they refund you because of the bad advice :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:Karinia,
Of course you could always take the floating floor up in the kitchen area and replace it with a solid one!:thumbsup:
John.

D

Deleted member 9966

Sorry to crash this thread, but could somebody explain to me what a floating floor is? And how to spot a floating floor?

B

bighen

Hi GRR.

A floating floor is when you come in the kitchen and find that the washing machine has had a major leak.... LOL

No, really it's a chipboard floor laid on top of insulation. The joints of the chipboard are glued together and the floor floats ontop of the insulation.

When you walk on it you tend to get varying spring depending as to how level the concrete is below the insulation. Due to this it is a definite NO NO as regards to tiling over unless you were to strip the floor back to the concrete level & build up, but this would be a costly exercise.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

d noulton

if you follow the advice given on the webber web site I still do not think it gives you a good substrate to tile to not for me :thumbsdown:

Reaction score
listen to the advice you have been given as it will come back and bite you in the butt,and as for webber advice hmmmmm
regards
marbleman

W

warehouseman

I tend to agree with the general view that 'floating floors' have their inherent problems and that tiles will loosen in time , given the movement.

However, if you are at the point where you have to go ahead for some reason, then GRANFIX do a product called 'Ultimate' flex powdered adhesive which it says is suitable for floating floors, providing you conform to the criteria on the bag ! Its very rubbery in texture and you might stand half a chance.

W

White Room

Another read on floating floors from schluter Floating a solution - better safe than sorry: News from Schluter-Systems

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Slate floor tile on a floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen