Search the forum,

Discuss Short courses and my opinion in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gareth Raines

i have seen alot of bad tilers in my time not saying your one but 90% of them come from these courses do 6-8 weeks then think they can tile,when the 100% cant

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved to the tiling courses discussion forum, the feedback forum is for those who have been on courses only.

There are loads of threads on this issue. I think they're a good way to get into the trade but whether you've done an apprenticeship for years, college for months, or short course for weeks, you don't start to learn properly until you gain experience working on your own.

Not everybody (certainly the older blokes) have time to do anything longer to be honest. And the fact that you don't need an NVQ to actually go out there and tile perhaps contributes to it moreso than the short courses themselves.

In a perfect world it would be a certified trade a bit like sparky's or gas plumbers with the Gas Safe Register. Though we're not in a perfect world so people can go out there tiling with no training whatsoever.

G

Gareth Raines

i gained skills though on job training then after 4 years, i had a assesor to come out to view my work to gain my nvq,not saying the courses dnt teach the very basics but they dnt give you the experience to go and do jobs on your own and if they do most make big mistakes, which i would'nt of, not saying im pefect by any means. These courses are fine if you want to do a bit of DIY or help a tiler labouring were you would start to learn but nothing else.

C

charlie1

What course, or how long you have been a tiler is not really any indication of how bad a tiler is. Overrulling factor is the standards of the individual! What is a bad tiler? slow? poor quality? I have seen some shocking work from time served guys who I know could do better however they tile to the standards of what will be passed in order to achieve a certen meterage! Are these bad tilers? I dont think so. Me personally, every job i do, i try to do it better than the one before and achieve as close as i can to perfection (which you will never get) however at some point in every job due to whatever reason eg quality of tiles or substraight you realise the job is only going to hit a certain level (a good enough level) but you know its not your personal best. I wish i had the attitude , if the customer is happy then thats all that matters, id be a lot quicker rather than every new job i start, trying to make it the holy grail of tiling lol, it does my head in sometimes i tell u!

G

Gareth Raines

a experinced tiler would know how to set out a shopping a swimming pool a 50mtr room with 6 other room running of running in bond a tiler who has been on a 6 week course wouldnt know were to start, so no i dont believe a tiler who has been on one of these course can just set up a tiling buissness unless he is just doing handyman jobs like splashbacks here and there. im very similar to you charlie your only as good as your last job a very true saying.

D

doug boardley

a experinced tiler would know how to set out a shopping a swimming pool a 50mtr room with 6 other room running of running in bond a tiler who has been on a 6 week course wouldnt know were to start, so no i dont believe a tiler who has been on one of these course can just set up a tiling buissness unless he is just doing handyman jobs like splashbacks here and there. im very similar to you charlie your only as good as your last job a very true saying.
would you know how to do all that after 6 weeks into an apprenticeship? I don't think so. Everybody has to start somewhere and experience comes with time, whatever route you take.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

you will find most guys who have come of courses are not going to be pricing swimming pools or shopping centre floors gareth ,domestic market is probably where they are going to start there careers.

G

Gareth Raines

yes but after a six week course you should'nt be let lose on any private job neither should a apprentice, need more training example labouring on a experienced tiler.not goin out there on private jobs.

Reply to Short courses and my opinion in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen