Search the forum,

Discuss self levelling questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

burncross

i am installing UFH over some existing floor tiles on a concrete sub floor (approx. 24m), so i'm going to tape it down, then go over it with SLC,
Do i just pour it over a section of the floor at a time, then go over with the flat edge of the trowel to cover the wiring and mats?
What brand of self levelling compound is recommended?
Then do i use a flexible adhesive? is this for heat expansion ?
:stupid: :grin: :thumbsup:

V

Varley

Not sure how effective the UFH will be layed over ceramic tiles on a concrete floor, there will probably be a lot of heat loss, normally for concrete floors you would lay insulation boards before installing UFH. Anyway, doesn't really matter what brand of leveller you use, everyone has there own favourites. Your right about the flexible adhesive, that is to allow for movement generated by the UFH heating up and cooling down. Your self levelleing compound should also be flexible, if not then mix with a latex additive instead of water. Trowel out as you said, with the flat edge of your trowel to cover the wires. Good luck mate!

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
im going on a job similar in a few days also,,should i baton the edges of the room 1st before pouring the slc on the floor toensure a perfect depth and to minimise spread? assuming the area the baton is fixed to can just be filled in after its set,is this the right way or dont you have to baton and pen the slc in? cheers:stupid:

B

Benny

If you want to save time and money and the floor is flat, stick the UFH cable down and go over it with a thick bed flex adhesive makeing sure not to damage the cable, but like the last post said it will not be very efficiant and will cost a lot more to run good luck.

V

Varley

Personally I wouldn't/never have used battens when self levelling a floor, don't see the need to but if you are more comfortable doing it that way and you feel it would help you do a better job then go for it, each to their own.

Reply to self levelling questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen