Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Self Leveling Compound Cracking in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

py rookie

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looked that this floor this evening,the customer said the builders have used slc ,and it's cracking all over the place in the kitchen,she's bought 20sq in slate,problem is if I rip it all up and slc myself is it going to crack again,after I've tiled it

IMAG0096.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why it's cracking but as it needs to come up anyway you want to get it up and investigate.

Then assuming the substrate is okay. I can't see a reason as to why it's crack again if you did it properly.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just noticed the picture.

Is the dark near the cracks wet at all? Or has somebody tried to use a solution to stop it getting worse?

py rookie

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just noticed the picture.

Is the dark near the cracks wet at all? Or has somebody tried to use a solution to stop it getting worse?
No wet this was done over Christmas,the floor is really bad a lot of bumps,I've said get the builder back so he can sort it out,but she said that's not happening.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Some Leveling compounds for tiling aren't meant to accept traffic on their own.

So it might be a case of it not being covered with tiles and being used and walked on.

Not all. I found that out the other week. Some are fine to have carpet on for example.

T

The D

looks like no primer and exceeding max bed depth if you use a good fibre re enforced slc you should be ok

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd not risk doing a little area and then tiling the lot once repaired. For the sake of a couple of bags more, just do the lot.

It might be something under it cracking and causing the SLC to crack. Until you get it up, there's no sure problem to deal with.

Profix

TF
Reaction score
Bit late in the day but I've just came across this post, the sub floor must have an effective DPM before applying slc and if not this is a likely outcome.

T

Tile Shop

Can anyone clarify if levelling with Latex and over laying with Ditra would be a solution?

Reply to Self Leveling Compound Cracking in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks