Search the forum,

Discuss Sealant for Tavertine tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Evening,

I've purchased tavertine tiles for kitchen and bathroom floor, and wall in bath area.

I plan to seal these (using a mini roller) post fixing but pre grouting, and seal them again after they've been grouted. I bought Fila Intensifier from Topps recently and am now worried that this won't be any good.

Can you please give me some hints and tips on a) sealingt the tiles and b) what sealant to use (unbiased of course...)

Thanks,

D

Daz

Hi & welcome.

Is it filled or un-filled trav, honed, tumbled or polished please?

Thanks,
Daz

M

Mike

you should not pre seal them if you're filling them with the grout as it may not stick in the pores of the tile. i like to use jasmine grout with travertine as it matches the tile when filling, then after cleaning the tiles then seal

Thanks Mike - good tip.

I've got limestone grout as the travertine is quite cream, similar to limestone (and the tile showroom used imestone and it looked v good.)

Cheers

M

Mike

i hate using limestone, i find it very gritty and more difficult to get smooth. i used it recently and regretted after i started but felt it was too much work to clean off and start again. i suggest trying a little section and see if you like the finish before you grout a whole wall

P

Perry

As mike says seal it after it's grouted all limestone grouts are different limestone is a colour not a grout

Cheers PJC - it's BAL, so a well known brand and should be relatively easy to use. I'll seal after grouting.

Reply to Sealant for Tavertine tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen