Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss screed drying time. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Alan M

hi there.
im putting in a screed friday in a bathroom an dutility off of the bathroom . there will be about 75mm of concreteontop of a plastic layer.
how soon can i tile on top if it. it might need a layer of SLC to lvel it up perfectly.

thanks alan

A

Alan M

sorry meant curing. concrete never stops curing fully .
the temp is probable 12- 15 maybe. il check .
im not cold in there but the home owner is freezing in the house( even beside the stove)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would be allowing for either a liquid dpm or an uncoupling membrane. The concrete this time of year will take flipping ages...... Minimum of 2months if not longer before you tile. For the sake of the cost in a room the size of a bathroom i would not be tking risks and would uncouple......

T

TheTiler

If it's concrete, it's 7 weeks, but depends on the thickness of the concrete and following temperature. In cold temps (below 5 deg C) you may have to extend the waiting time for up to 12 months. Always drill a pilot hole to determine dryness and use a moisture meter probe. It would be tiling suicide to tile on a green background as new concrete will shrink over time (especially when central heating is introduced into the room). This will result in the substrate shrinking and de-laminating from the the fixed ties, breaking the bond and resulting in complete tiling failure. It's reality.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes. Take a look at the schluter website .... Ditra matting ..... That will tell you everything

Reaction score
Hi Guys, sorry to jump in your thread but my coservatory is going to be screeded on tuesday to a depth of 4inches, my plan was to leave it for one month, then prime twice, install 10mm insulation board on flexible adhesive, lay UFH wire, Latex then tile....... Does this sound like the best way to go to you pro's? someone suggested thati should lay ditra matting, the the thing is that i thought that insulation board would do a similar job to the ditra ie:acting as a slight deflecter. Or should i install both?

I will be tiling it with Travertine.

Thank you very much in advance

B

bugs183

Ajax's your man for screed advise here.
Ditra mat doesn't effect the underfloor heating, so use it.
What your saying is the right way to lay your floor.

Reaction score
Ajax's your man for screed advise here.
Ditra mat doesn't effect the underfloor heating, so use it.
What your saying is the right way to lay your floor.

Wow that was quick, thanks Bugs.

Are you saying to use it as well as the insulation board or instead of the insulation board? If using it with the insulation board where would it's place be on the floor

Thanks mate

B

bugs183

I have no life but this forum Motorman!!
Yea sorry didn't make much sense that. Lay your screed, allow to dry. Fix the insulation board with a good quality flexible adhesive (i use a 10mm trowel to get there to be bed nicely). I'd leave that overnight to dry. Test the ufh and use an electronic alarm during the installation to check it doesn't get damaged.Lay out the underfloor heating. Take photos so you have an idea where the cables run.
Now i do the next part a bit differently than the others here, its a bit messy but i hate faffing with tape and glue guns and swearing at the wires that refuse to lay flat. I trowel rapid set adhesive with a 6mm notched trowel onto the insulation boards, roll the ufh into this and then lay fibreglass mesh over the top (this is used for reinforcing render and comes on a 50m roll and is 500mm wide), then i press this into the adhesive and trowel in down. Its a bit messy and sometimes awkward, but i never have any hassle with the cables afterwards!!!
Leave to dry or level straight on top.
Leave overnight, get your 5-6mm trowel and again with flexible adhesive trowel this onto the dry levelling compound ad roll the ditra onto this. Get piece of wood 3x2 is a good size and use it to press the ditra into the adhesive. Leave overnight.
Start tiling!

Reply to screed drying time. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks