Search the forum,

Discuss screed drying time. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alan M

hi there.
im putting in a screed friday in a bathroom an dutility off of the bathroom . there will be about 75mm of concreteontop of a plastic layer.
how soon can i tile on top if it. it might need a layer of SLC to lvel it up perfectly.

thanks alan

A

Alan M

sorry meant curing. concrete never stops curing fully .
the temp is probable 12- 15 maybe. il check .
im not cold in there but the home owner is freezing in the house( even beside the stove)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would be allowing for either a liquid dpm or an uncoupling membrane. The concrete this time of year will take flipping ages...... Minimum of 2months if not longer before you tile. For the sake of the cost in a room the size of a bathroom i would not be tking risks and would uncouple......

T

TheTiler

If it's concrete, it's 7 weeks, but depends on the thickness of the concrete and following temperature. In cold temps (below 5 deg C) you may have to extend the waiting time for up to 12 months. Always drill a pilot hole to determine dryness and use a moisture meter probe. It would be tiling suicide to tile on a green background as new concrete will shrink over time (especially when central heating is introduced into the room). This will result in the substrate shrinking and de-laminating from the the fixed ties, breaking the bond and resulting in complete tiling failure. It's reality.

Reply to screed drying time. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen