Search the forum,

Discuss Rip Rotozip in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Was only cutting through tongue and groove to get a bit of chip board floor up and the body started to get really hot and lost some power. Left it outside for a while to cool down but it just overheats as soon as you turn it on :(

O

Old Mod

Was only cutting through tongue and groove to get a bit of chip board floor up and the body started to get really hot and lost some power. Left it outside for a while to cool down but it just overheats as soon as you turn it on :(
Wouldn't be just the brushes would it Nick?

S

Saltire69

Try the dewalt instead of the fein. my plumbers got one and pretty good. Once my fein gives up the ghost gonna get the dewalt one. Less than half the price as well.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the brushes just don't know if the heat did any extra damage - it was burning my hand and it wasn't smelling too great but you know what it's like - 'just 20 more seconds, c'mon you can do it' - I really needed that bit of floor out to get to some rad pipes.
Took it to a power tool fixer who lives local to me - he's even looking at the Rotozip, he's changed the bearings and I dropped off the nut, collet and a bit for him tonight to check if it's done the trick, apparently there's some thread damage but sounds promising.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So the Rotozip will be all fixed and ready on Monday. The Fein isn't worth fixing.
Looked at the other multitools out there and did some research. I know how hard I was on my old Fein 250Q and the next one will have to stand up to the same abuse so went for the newer Fein 350Q. It might be a bit more expensive but I've saved a bit with the Rotozip repair and from all the professional reviews, comparisons and tech data it does seem to be the best multi tool available.

Now I need a new combi drill and SDS! I would have liked to treat myself by adding an impact driver, an angled impact driver and a reciprocating saw to my arsenal but looks like they'll have to wait now.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Gave it a test run and am very happy with the new Fein 350Q
A little bigger than the old one but feels same weight. Soft start and much less vibration. Much quieter too but makes the same racket when your cutting. Using a cheapo shark blade with some wear and it flew through some timber with no smoking - reckon the extra 100w is worth it. Got to wait till Monday now to really put it to the test.
20160104_193918.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got the Rotozip back and it's running sweet again.
20160104_193702.jpg

The bearing that went is in red and the subsequent damage from using it at 30 000 rpm with the business end misaligned is highlighted in yellow. If any other owners notice a slight change in speed and/or noise my advice would be to stop using it immediately as repair for the bearing would only be about £30. Probably only a tenner if you did it yourself.
As it was I needed all the above which is basically all there is to a rotozip -that and a switch.
Parts are still available from Skil.

W

White Room

Gave it a test run and am very happy with the new Fein 350Q
A little bigger than the old one but feels same weight. Soft start and much less vibration. Much quieter too but makes the same racket when your cutting. Using a cheapo shark blade with some wear and it flew through some timber with no smoking - reckon the extra 100w is worth it. Got to wait till Monday now to really put it to the test.
View attachment 79310

Found the vibration on the older model is too much for long usage.

Reply to Rip Rotozip in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen