Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing floor tiles laid in sand only, 50 years ago in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

lost boy abroad

Hello,

A first post from someone not very good at building stuff.

House in South America, generally well built but poorly maintained the last 30 years. Local tradesmen not doing a good job repairing and renovating. Learning to do things myself.

It would be great if anyone can give me pointers on the following

I have five 2nd floor rooms of about 12 meters square with old fashioned yellow and red tiles which appear to be made of concrete. Here they are called baldosas. 20 cm by 20 cm and 2 cm thick.

Many are loose and cracked. On inspection they have been laid on a bed of sand about 10 cm deep over the concrete ceiling structure. No mortar nor grouting, just well compacted.

They have lasted at least 30 years but obviously need repairing, about 2 thirds appear intact and new ones of similar colours can be made.

I can not find much information on the internet and the local builders just want to rip it up and lay standard new glossy floors. I would love to preserve the tiles and design, on the cheap if possible.

Does anyone have any experience and advise?

Thanks

L

lost boy abroad

IMG_20161018_212946.jpg
IMG_20161018_213101.jpg

Reply to Replacing floor tiles laid in sand only, 50 years ago in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays