Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing floor tiles laid in sand only, 50 years ago in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

lost boy abroad

Hello,

A first post from someone not very good at building stuff.

House in South America, generally well built but poorly maintained the last 30 years. Local tradesmen not doing a good job repairing and renovating. Learning to do things myself.

It would be great if anyone can give me pointers on the following

I have five 2nd floor rooms of about 12 meters square with old fashioned yellow and red tiles which appear to be made of concrete. Here they are called baldosas. 20 cm by 20 cm and 2 cm thick.

Many are loose and cracked. On inspection they have been laid on a bed of sand about 10 cm deep over the concrete ceiling structure. No mortar nor grouting, just well compacted.

They have lasted at least 30 years but obviously need repairing, about 2 thirds appear intact and new ones of similar colours can be made.

I can not find much information on the internet and the local builders just want to rip it up and lay standard new glossy floors. I would love to preserve the tiles and design, on the cheap if possible.

Does anyone have any experience and advise?

Thanks

L

lost boy abroad

IMG_20161018_212946.jpg
IMG_20161018_213101.jpg

L

lost boy abroad

Not all floors are as bad. On the first picture I lifted one and the sand was loose and had settled. Some old broken ceramics in the sand.

The second picture, the worst room, has had some tiles changed and a few have been repaired with a cement base.

I am reluctant to lift more until ready to fix.

T

Time's Ran Out

1)Old folk don't need as much sleep!
2)Dog usually wants to go out!
3)Had to say bye to the blond before the brunette arrived!
4)Mind too active.
5) Go to bed at 9.00pm.
Any number of reasons these days but last night it was just to see who I could upset today - takes a bit of planning.

L

lost boy abroad

not throw, redoing rooms, with the good ones, at max last room, changing material.

Thanks Antonio,

That is the plan, to reuse the good ones
The question is more more ,

can I repack and lay directly on sand or do I have to use morter?

Reply to Replacing floor tiles laid in sand only, 50 years ago in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen