Search the forum,

Discuss Removing Gloss tile sealer from Bathtub? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

swoo

We recently tiled our bathroom and used TileLab Gloss Sealer&Finish.

Problem is, it ran down onto the bathtub and dried to a big mess.

We've tried using vinegar and some cleaners, but it doesn't seem to work.

What can we use to remove the sealer off of the Bathtub without damaging the paint on the tub?

thanks!

T

Time's Ran Out

Hi,
My first port of call would be the manufacturers of the sealer and ask their advice!
What type of bath is it that has a painted surface?
Is it plastic/acrylic/enamel/cast iron?
Some marks can be polished out with 't cut'.
Good luck!:thumbsup:
John.

S

swoo

The bathtub is metal with a painted surface I believe, and not a very thick layer of paint at that.. so I'm worried that anything that's strong enough to dissolve the sealer, would probably be strong enough to mess up the paint.

Eg.
Done some research and found AquaMix products, there's a Sealer&Coating Remover, but it says it'll strip off paint as well.

D

Daveyboy

Hi..I agree with john...check with the sealant manufacturer first, then based on their advice, do a small test area..if that works ok, do the rest of the bath..good luck and let us know how it turns out :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Good evening.
If you've permanentley marked the bath and you think its painted you can call out one of those 'bath doctor' types who repray in situ.
:thumbsup:
John.

T

Terry Cottar

The bathtub is metal with a painted surface I believe, and not a very thick layer of paint at that.. so I'm worried that anything that's strong enough to dissolve the sealer, would probably be strong enough to mess up the paint.

Eg.
Done some research and found AquaMix products, there's a Sealer&Coating Remover, but it says it'll strip off paint as well.

You will be fine with the sealing and coating remover. let it sit for a while then just wipe the sealer off. Its a good product but it will not strip the paint off an enamelled bath unless you left it on for 12 hours+ at a gess

tel

B

Bolter

You could try a WHITE scotch pad. Its a bit like the non scratch washing up sponges you would use at home, but alot bigger :)

Try it on a discrete area first, it shouldnt damage the bath at all though.

Any decent tile shop will stock them.

Reply to Removing Gloss tile sealer from Bathtub? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen