Currently reading:
Remedy loose tiles

Discuss Remedy loose tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fad

I've got to look at a job where tiles in 2 bathrooms have worked loose. The client said that a bad job had been done previously. There is UFH. That's all I know so far. Can anyone give me some ponters as to what to look out for ?
I am wondering whether the job might have to be redone from scratch ? Sounds like the client is simply looking for a retile. Would a de-coupling mat be an option ?

P

peckers

I agree with what con has said, but also be prepaired to do more then just a few loose tiles, as these types of jobs turn into more then meets the eye, especially as you said it has been a bad job done!
If you are only pricing to replace a few tiles explain to the customer that it could turn into alot bigger job and for him to expect the worse maybe!
But if the ufh is the cable type it very rarely survives from pulling up tiles, just be warned!!! and explain this to the customer in advance!!!!

F

fad

I just had a look at the job - the substrate is a sand & cement screed or self-levelling. There is UFH in the two bathrooms, which have a small control panel on the wall outside so I assume that UFH was used with self-levelling over the top. However the method of applying adhesive was dot & dab, I think it's called, so I assume that this is the cause of the tiles to working loose ?
These are 600x300 stone tiles so would it be practical to clean the adhesive from the back and relay ?
Also, The depth of the tile and adhesive add up to about 30mm and I 've got to maintain the same depth - does that mean using more self-levelling and then tiling on top? If so how easy is it to be that precise with the self-levelling ? Given that the tile is say 10mm, the adhesive say 6mm, that would leave 14mm to make up.

R

Rob Z

I just had a look at the job - the substrate is a sand & cement screed or self-levelling. There is UFH in the two bathrooms, which have a small control panel on the wall outside so I assume that UFH was used with self-levelling over the top. However the method of applying adhesive was dot & dab, I think it's called, so I assume that this is the cause of the tiles to working loose ?
These are 600x300 stone tiles so would it be practical to clean the adhesive from the back and relay ?
Also, The depth of the tile and adhesive add up to about 30mm and I 've got to maintain the same depth - does that mean using more self-levelling and then tiling on top? If so how easy is it to be that precise with the self-levelling ? Given that the tile is say 10mm, the adhesive say 6mm, that would leave 14mm to make up.

Hi Fad, it sounds like you have quite a job there, and good chance to come out smelling like a rose in the eyes of the client. Once you have sorted out this mess that the previous tiler made of this job you will be looking like a pro to them. :thumbsup:

One idea I had to deal with the 14 mm you need is to use SLC and to calculate the volume needed to fill the area you have X 14 mm in depth. THe bags of SLC should give you the volume per bag and then it's simple math to figure out the rest. Figure out how many bags per room, mix and pour only that amount.

On one job we had last year, we had todo the same thing. The subfloor was so irregular that I couldn't do an estimate of number of bags so what I did was use my laser and epoxy small bits of tile (approx 2" X 2") down to the concrete, maintaining the height of the top of each in relation to the laser line. I used epoxy only because it set up fast, but if you don't have epoxy use a good setting material and give it a day to cure.

Then, we applied the primer in the normal fashion, including on the sides of the little monuments that we had made with the tile and epoxy. We poured SLC on the whole thing and just poured and pushed it so it just barely covered the top of the monuments. That way, we got the floor very, very close to where it needed to be.:thumbsup:

J

jay

okay sounds like its just the method of fixing at fault if it stuck to both makes you wonder why its so thick /// if you try and patch it wont be long before the rest will let go (as they will be the weakest ) and with that thickness of adh it could be a nightmare best advice is to remove purchase new tiles try and find fault in ufh possibly level floor to improve height issues, lay grout new floor as client will end up paying more to patch than to fix propper just let him know his opptions (be carfule patching as it can come back and bite you ) hope this helps:8:

Reply to Remedy loose tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.