Search the forum,

Discuss Remedy loose tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fad

I've got to look at a job where tiles in 2 bathrooms have worked loose. The client said that a bad job had been done previously. There is UFH. That's all I know so far. Can anyone give me some ponters as to what to look out for ?
I am wondering whether the job might have to be redone from scratch ? Sounds like the client is simply looking for a retile. Would a de-coupling mat be an option ?

C

CON5933

first thing to check before you touch any tiles..see if the UFH works..you don't want to get the blame for it if it was damaged by the 'loose' tiles.
then, was there any SLC used over the UFH?
were the tile put directly onto the UFH?
chances are mate the UFH won't survive the tiles coming up..altho i stand to be corrected:thumbsup:

P

peckers

I agree with what con has said, but also be prepaired to do more then just a few loose tiles, as these types of jobs turn into more then meets the eye, especially as you said it has been a bad job done!
If you are only pricing to replace a few tiles explain to the customer that it could turn into alot bigger job and for him to expect the worse maybe!
But if the ufh is the cable type it very rarely survives from pulling up tiles, just be warned!!! and explain this to the customer in advance!!!!

F

fad

I just had a look at the job - the substrate is a sand & cement screed or self-levelling. There is UFH in the two bathrooms, which have a small control panel on the wall outside so I assume that UFH was used with self-levelling over the top. However the method of applying adhesive was dot & dab, I think it's called, so I assume that this is the cause of the tiles to working loose ?
These are 600x300 stone tiles so would it be practical to clean the adhesive from the back and relay ?
Also, The depth of the tile and adhesive add up to about 30mm and I 've got to maintain the same depth - does that mean using more self-levelling and then tiling on top? If so how easy is it to be that precise with the self-levelling ? Given that the tile is say 10mm, the adhesive say 6mm, that would leave 14mm to make up.

F

fad

By the way Con the UFH doesn't work in at least one of the bathrooms but the client said he's not bothered about it because it's not really needed. So that was good to sort out.

W

White Room

The screed would be a gritty sand, slc would be smooth and fine.
What adhesive do you know was used to dot and dab

F

fad

It is quite smooth so i assume it is SLC. Not sure about the adhesive- how can you tell ? Client does has records of tiles bought -not sure about adhesive. I looked on the back of the tile and it looks fairly course and cement based.

J

jay

hi have you worked out why tiles have de bonded and what percentage do you need to replace it may not be a simple fix :8:

F

fad

I asssumed that it debonded because of the dot & dab method of fixing when it should really be a solid bed. The client has agreed that the whole floor needs to be re-tiled. because so many tiles are working loose. This is occuring in 2 bathrooms and also the kitchen where there is a hollow sound throughout.

Reply to Remedy loose tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen