Search the forum,

Discuss Refit cut porcelain tiles; add bevel ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Adrian2009

We had a conservatory floor tiled by our builders about 3 years ago.
I noticed some tiles sounded hollow within a year but these were at the edges, so left. Not sure how the problem progressed but ended up checking thorougly and now have about 20% of floor tiles lifted with about 3/4 of these fully recovered. When working on this I soon realised that although the tiles are very strong in some respects they are also very easily chipped on the top surface with one careless chisel.

The problem is that tiles are now obsolete (Magica swain beige). I have plenty of spare tiles but not all the right sizes ( we have a pattern with 4 sizes), so need to cut down some of the largest to make up for broken ones. As these are not at the edges should I attempt to put a bevel back on or just live with the edge that is cut ?

Not sure what caused the problem, the rest of the floor is very good. When taking up the tiles nearest the edges they were very easy to get up and left no cement on the concrete floor, which feels chalky. (The concrete floor was spec'd over the top bieng over 6" thick with reinforcement as we didnt want any cracking in floor due to movement - and I shold add we thought builders did a very good job).

Should I use PVA before getting tiles reset ?

Thanks for any advice.

D

diamondtiling

If they are porcelain tiles with a rectified edge than you will never get that edge onto another tile yourself, they were done by a machine and then polished in the factory. You say that the tiles sound hollow at the edges? thats sounds like dot and dab fixing, if it is not then the fixer may not have been checking for 100% coverage as he/she laid them, it sounds even more likely that it was not a competent fixer when you say the edge tiles were easier to get up, classic case of two dabs of adhesive to stick them down. PVA is a no no in this situation, you will get many people on here saying the same, use an acrylic bond instead which is available from all tile suppliers, The adhesive should have been a flexible one as should the grout so make sure you use one for fixing the new tiles, where are you as someone may be able to call and give you some advice.

:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

you dont mention wether glazed or not!, if you have plenty, you could try to bevel if ,not youll have to live with cut edge i would use SBR but PVA is ok m8

why do you say that PVA is ok? It is not ok and all adhesive manufacturers warranties will be null and void if any future problems arise with tiles lifting due to adhesive breakdown.

:oops:

A

Adrian2009

I dont think they are glazed, they are described as porcelain stoneware, and they dont have a gloss finish.

Also, I need grout: It was Howtex Grey , they have been taken over by Weber who have replaced it with a Silver Grey. I guess this is nearest match and should blend in ?

A

Adrian2009

The adhesive was Howtex Porcelain Rapid Set. It was appled with a comb , not dot & dab; the problem seems to be that the cement did not bound to the concrete properly.The last few tiles I lifted, which were partly secured ok, were quite difficult to remove, the problem area is continous in one corner following the dwarf wall and being a few tiles wide.

The builder has offered to come back and refit the tiles if I did the lifting & cleaning.

D

diamondtiling

Gooner, have you been hiding in a cave mate for the past few years? next time you are going to buy mapei, ardex, granfix, bal, in fact any adhesive tell the supplier you will be using PVA to seal prior to fixing.

:yikes:

D

diamondtiling

You may have a suspect area of screed Adrian, is it crumbling or dusty? can you easily take the surface off, cement not bonding is usually caused by damp screeds, wrong adhesive, in-correct bonding ie PVA.

The builder should really be lifting the tiles and re-laying them, his job so he should fix it.

D

diamondtiling

Gooner, sit down, have a rest and chill out. Firstly no one is jumping to any conclusions, that would be the case if I had simply stated one problem and one method to resolve it, however as I asked Adrian to check out the theories I was offering I believe that would come under narrowing the problem down. Hollow tiles are usually the result of dot and dab fixing, no enough coverage with a trowel or a suspect screed. I have as you have asked me to do re-read your reply and Yes you do actually say the words "but PVA is ok m8".
In regard to your point about coffee, I dont drink the stuff and fail to see its relevance, I have never starred in any programmes with Kermit or Miss piggy so how coulod I be a muppet? I have never met Jim henson and I believe he is actually dead.
I do hope this clears things up for you and allows you to calm down.

:mad2:

J

jay

hi adrian 2009 couple of questions how long did the builder leave (render)cement to dry befor tiling . is there a perimater expansion joint and just how soft is the render (can you dig a hole using keys :8:

Reply to Refit cut porcelain tiles; add bevel ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen