Search the forum,

Discuss Re-grouting method. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

moomarine

Just thought I'd share my method of re-grouting a whole house! (4 bathrooms, large kitchen/utility and downstairs toilet).

After a lot of trial and error by reading previous threads about it I believe I have found the best way, but would appreciate other people's experience! (I imagine a lot of people probably don't do this kind of work and I almost didn't myself but thought I'd give it a go out of interest really!)

So I started by just using my multi tool with a grout removing blade which was ok but the blades go quick and it does take a fair bit of effort and on your knees permanently. The one benefit I found was that it keeps the dust at ground level rather than up in the air.

I then moved onto what I think was the best way. Using a 18v angle with turbo diamond blade holding a wet/dry Hoover behind the blade. I have the dewalt 18v XR which is really easy to hold with the Hoover as it isn't fat and round like most grinders! I then go over very quickly with the multi tool anywhere where the grinders missed chunks.

I did try using my 240v grinder but it was way too fast RPM vs the 18v creating too must dust for the Hoover.

I have actually quite enjoyed this job other than the fact it kills the wrists! Lol - can't imagine it's good for the carpel tunnel syndrome!

L

LM

That's the same way I do it on most jobs. On floors with thin joints and delicate tile edges I will use a plunge saw and guide rail for gaurenteed accuracy and no run offs, with depth set to about 8-10mm

O

Old Mod

That's the same way I do it on most jobs. On floors with thin joints and delicate tile edges I will use a plunge saw and guide rail for gaurenteed accuracy and no run offs, with depth set to about 8-10mm
Which saw Lee?

M

moomarine

How long did it take,
This was a while ago but back here today to finish the downstairs toilet.

It took 3 days to do the 4 bathrooms including grouting them but this was with my multi tool. Then the kitchen/utility was 3 days but a lot easier with the angle grinder. Kitchen was a larger area than the bathrooms together.

M

moomarine

Never done a regrout in 34 years !!
Don't think I ever will to be honest.
You seem to have cracked it, hope you had a good price on it.
This is where I went wrong!
I know now for the next time that I will be pricing it higher than this time! Did for £140 a day as a day rate plus grout etc on top but it was really a tester and I know better now!

L

LM

Which saw Lee?
I had an old Bosch set up that was nicked on a site I was on just after christmas, so I was thinking of getting a Fesstool TS 55 with an ATS 160mm diamond blade using a reducing ring, but haven't actually got round to it yet. Would you recommend a better choice for me or would that be a goer?

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A decorator showed me a good trick and it actually works a good water proof PVA and permanent ink mixed together and paint over joints, you have about 1 minute to sponge it off but works great and no dust or grinding.

O

Old Mod

I had an old Bosch set up that was nicked on a site I was on just after christmas, so I was thinking of getting a Fesstool TS 55 with an ATS 160mm diamond blade using a reducing ring, but haven't actually got round to it yet. Would you recommend a better choice for me or would that be a goer?
I have that set up, but can't say I've tried to rake joints with. :D

Reply to Re-grouting method. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen