Currently reading:
Re-grouting method.

Search the forum,

Discuss Re-grouting method. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

moomarine

Just thought I'd share my method of re-grouting a whole house! (4 bathrooms, large kitchen/utility and downstairs toilet).

After a lot of trial and error by reading previous threads about it I believe I have found the best way, but would appreciate other people's experience! (I imagine a lot of people probably don't do this kind of work and I almost didn't myself but thought I'd give it a go out of interest really!)

So I started by just using my multi tool with a grout removing blade which was ok but the blades go quick and it does take a fair bit of effort and on your knees permanently. The one benefit I found was that it keeps the dust at ground level rather than up in the air.

I then moved onto what I think was the best way. Using a 18v angle with turbo diamond blade holding a wet/dry Hoover behind the blade. I have the dewalt 18v XR which is really easy to hold with the Hoover as it isn't fat and round like most grinders! I then go over very quickly with the multi tool anywhere where the grinders missed chunks.

I did try using my 240v grinder but it was way too fast RPM vs the 18v creating too must dust for the Hoover.

I have actually quite enjoyed this job other than the fact it kills the wrists! Lol - can't imagine it's good for the carpel tunnel syndrome!

O

Old Mod

I had an old Bosch set up that was nicked on a site I was on just after christmas, so I was thinking of getting a Fesstool TS 55 with an ATS 160mm diamond blade using a reducing ring, but haven't actually got round to it yet. Would you recommend a better choice for me or would that be a goer?
I have that set up, but can't say I've tried to rake joints with. :D

Reply to Re-grouting method. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement