Search the forum,

Discuss Question On Black Floor Adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Carts69

Hi, I have just removed cork tiles from my concrete kitchen floor, I'm now left with a black tar like adhesive, even though this is applied thinly, it's a total nightmare to remove, I aim to tile this area with ceramic tiles, now I've heard that a slurry application is the way forward, my question is...can I slurry straight over this black adhesive or do I need to scrape away & get most of it off?

C

Carts69

The crack stretches 800 long X 300

image.jpg

O

Old Mod

Well on what I can see from your pics,
Remove those plastic tiles, clean floor of all loose materials and any 'black' that's not adhered well.
Using a 'Slurry' coat as @Dave, suggested, or use a pre-mixed one.
Tilemaster do a product called Prime+Grip
Mapei do an equivalent, Eco Prime + Grip.
Personally I now use Tilemasters.
Prime whole area, then using levelling compound, bring whole floor to high level by the front door.
All one level, flat and ready to tile.
That's just my opinion, but that's the way I'd go, as long there are no height issues anywhere.

I

Italy

Well on what I can see from your pics,
Remove those plastic tiles, clean floor of all loose materials and any 'black' that's not adhered well.
Using a 'Slurry' coat as @Dave, suggested, or use a pre-mixed one.
Tilemaster do a product called Prime+Grip
Mapei do an equivalent, Eco Prime + Grip.
Personally I now use Tilemasters.
Prime whole area, then using levelling compound, bring whole floor to high level by the front door.
All one level, flat and ready to tile.
That's just my opinion, but that's the way I'd go, as long there are no height issues anywhere.
because mapei ecoprime+grip? :)
mapei is ecoprimegrip, grip already in the bucket

S

StevieBoy

I appreciate all answers but Stevieboy... Can you back up your theory to be successful 12 months down the line, have you dealt with this exact issue on a regular basis & can vouch for 100 per cent success, if so... I would take this approach hands down?
Nothing is ever 100%, all I can say is I've laid dozens and dozens and never had a failure.

I wouldn't suggest it otherwise, as I genuinely wouldn't want anyone to encounter problems.

If it's prepped correctly as I have suggested you will be fine.

Reply to Question On Black Floor Adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement