Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss quarry tile cleaning help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

barcabod

Hi folks
I have just bought some reclaimed Red and Black with a few brindle colour quarry tiles from ebay good condition,but i would like to clean them.

Some seem to be glazed and pretty clean others seem a little dirty and not glazed or if are glazed i think its wore off(if thats possible).I have jet washed them to a certain degree of success
Is there a good product that will get them looking really good?
I have access to a buffing machine (either with pads or brushwhich is best?)

Please help me out as i am starting to lay the path at the weekend

i am laying them in a diamond pattern is there anything i should be careful with laying them in this way
Also can anyone reccomend a good sealer and polish for the tiles and rope edging ( i have cleaned these as good as they are going to get i think) once laid and cleaned

Thanks

Billy

Last edited by a moderator:
B

barcabod

Sorry dave no pics ( takes me half the time to switch the computer on)
The glazed ones are Platts i think ,blue and red(when i say glazed i think i really mean shinier)
Unglazed or not as shiny are a different make
I have used QEP heavy duty tile cleaner from B and Q with a little success
I have cleaned the rope edging with brick cleaner and they are pretty good actually,could i use the brick cleaner(acid) on the quarry tiles?

Thanks for the reply

I may become a nightmare as i usually need to know the ins and outs haha
So your help is really appreciated

Thanks

Billy

B

barcabod

Whitebeam
Thanks for reply,can you buy this product at any shops or is it just online?

B

barcabod

Is that the best product then?
Think i can get it a floors to go

Can you throw ant light on the sealing and polish for them
by the way its an outside path

I have looked at Golvpolish (think thats its name) from walls and floors website

Thanks

D

DHTiling

Quarry's don't normally need sealing but some peeps wax them when used in doors.

I wouldn't use anything outside as it will not last... and with quarry's being vitrified they don't always absorb normal impregnating type sealer's.

Best bet is get them clean and then do a water test on them to determine water porosity .

M

MARBLE_TONY

Agree with Dave on this one if they are outside but if i did seal them Enrich'N'Seal Aqua mix but this shall darken them but give it a wet look bit of a ***** to apply though as for cleaning them Sealing and coating remover is an option also aqua mix if it does have a topical sealer on them

B

barcabod

Gary

would you just clean the tiles and leave them ?
Or is there a product that makes them look shiny?( would like them shiny if i can)

I have laid the tiles today and pretty chuffed with the outcome even if im aching like mad (good job its bank holiday)

I am planning to use LTPGrimex tomorrow with a buffer machine is this a good way to go

S

Spud

The tiles will look great once cleaned well, any thing you put on them will sit on the surface and will wear off quickly so that is why you have been advised not to put on topical sealers such as golv polish , I am not familar with grimex but by all accounts its a good product ,do you have heavy cement staining or light grout residue? are these reclaimed tiles ?

Reply to quarry tile cleaning help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks