Search the forum,

Discuss Primer required? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Scholester

Hi,
I have done a few tiling jobs for myself over the past few years and would rate myself as reasonably competent!:lol:
I like to ask questions before going in head-first so as to limit any avoidable mistakes.
So, first question for you hepful chaps is..... I am laying UFH in my flat (kitchen & bathroom) which is constructed with block and beam floor with 100mm polystyrene insulation and 22mm chipboard floor. I am using 6mm insulation panels which I believe need to be stuck to the chipboard floor with Rapid Set Flexible Adhesive.
Now, do I have to first prime the chipboard floor with acrylic primer before sticking the boards down and do I have to prime the top of the insulation board before applying the Adhesive for the tiles?
Finally, The UFH mat is 3mm thick, can I lay the mat within the wet Adhesive and lay the tiles directly on this or do I have to lay the mat on a thin bed of adhesive first and let this go off before the tile adhesive bed and tile!?
Hope I am making myself legible!?

B

brian c

clean the floor and check with the adhesive manufacturer if the substrate needs primed prior to laying boards.Once boards are layed and the ufh matt is positioned,you could use a slc then tile it?:thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

clean the floor and check with the adhesive manufacturer if the substrate needs primed prior to laying boards.Once boards are layed and the ufh matt is positioned,you could use a slc then tile it?:thumbsup:

On the money Brian:thumbsup:

S

Scholester

Thanks guys, it's better to ask before getting stuck in than getting stuck in then getting stuck!:smilewinkgrin:

D

doug boardley

it sounds like a floating floor, hope you're not thinking of tiling it:yikes:

S

Scholester

Not sure if it's floating - all stud walls are wood framed and screwed to the floor?
And yes, I AM tiling it (on top of the fixed down warmup boards):ciappa:
I will let you know in a year or so wether you can say I told you so!!!:mad2:

T

TrumpersUnited

The Chipboard will have to be very secure. I would use thicker contruction board than 6mm as well at the very least 10mm. Make sure contruction board is screwed as well as stuck down using a SPF. Also i would use a suitable levelling compound for the UTH and then use a 2 part adhesive and flexible grout.

As the other fellow says if its a floating floor be very careful:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

You need to have ZERO deflection to tile floating floors....and use S2 type adhesive..

Not something i would do lightly.:thumbsdown:

S

Scholester

Doug,
Can you please define a floating floor?
Is this were the floor is not screwed to the base that it sits on?
The flat is 35 years old and the floors have no sags or creaks. Is it ok to use SLC on this then adhere the insulation boards to the SLC with 1 part Weber Flexible Rapid Adhesive? Would it make a difference to use a two part milk with the Flex?

Reply to Primer required? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen