Search the forum,

Discuss Post tiling issues with finish in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dilalio

TF
Reaction score
Looks like polymer residue to me , wax off won’t remove it.
You need a stronger product.
Try lithofin cement away to break it down , try on an inconspicuous area first and watch the enamel works.

Thanks for the reply.
What would the polymer residue be from? Is this from the manufacturing process or left over from grouting not being carried out correctly?

We applied this stuff yesterday. Firstly at a 1:10 ratio and then neat (carefully) with plenty of rinsing to keep away from chrome and enamels.

IMG_20191003_130813.jpg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
What would the polymer residue be from? Is this from the manufacturing process or left over from grouting not being carried out correctly?

We applied this stuff yesterday. Firstly at a 1:10 ratio and then neat (carefully) with plenty of rinsing to keep away from chrome and enamels.

View attachment 110129

The residue is grout film with polymer residue also within it , it is basically from not washing off early enough and changing water regularly to avoid excessive residue drying on the surface.
If the KF isn’t shifting it then upgrade to cement away , it’s very strong so go careful.
Also you need to use a scotch pad so the slight abrasion from pad helps remove the residue.
Start with diluted product as per instructions and then increase strength till you find a mix ratio that works.

P.s... have a quiet word with your tiler for future jobs 😁

J

J Sid

Looks like polymer residue to me , wax off won’t remove it.
You need a stronger product.
Try lithofin cement away to break it down , try on an inconspicuous area first and watch the enamel works.
Dave, cement away is acid based and is for external use only.
I would try lithofin power clean as my first choice

Dilalio

TF
Reaction score
Will defo be speaking to the Tiler. Just needed to know who to believe and the next steps to take. So thanks for the advice so far.
So is it the cement away or the power clean?
We already have the kf (used diluted then neat) and we have kf intensive cleaner!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Will defo be speaking to the Tiler. Just needed to know who to believe and the next steps to take. So thanks for the advice so far.
We already have the kf (used diluted then neat) and we have kf intensive cleaner!

Don't suppose you know what adhesive was used on this job? And whether the shower area had been tanked/water proofed?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score

You can try the alkaline cleaner mentioned above and if that doesn’t work then you IMO need a stronger cleaner , I once had my son leave residue on black Matt porcelain and what a nightmare it was , only product that worked was acid based.
Let us know how you get on.

Dilalio

TF
Reaction score
You can try the alkaline cleaner mentioned above and if that doesn’t work then you IMO need a stronger cleaner , I once had my son leave residue on black Matt porcelain and what a nightmare it was , only product that worked was acid based.
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Dave.
I tend to agree with you.
We've been over it already with the kf and it reacted with some of the heavier grout residue but I felt it needed something stronger.
Once had some plasterers spill render all over patio slabs in a garden and it dried... Only thing we got it off with, was careful use of a product called disclean... Used it many times since... It eats cementious based products and the kf smelled very similar to that, albeit not as strong.

Reply to Post tiling issues with finish in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen