Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain tiling around window; which way to go; edging stip or mitre?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Johnryan - thanks for your reply. Could you be more specific about your concerns ref. bonding the tiles straight onto plywood? Do you think the plywood will be unable to take the weight??, or is the bond itself not strong enough? I used ply because I had a large stock from a previous building job; it's 12mm WBP - and I used it on an ensuite bathroom (with tiling bonded) about 5 years ago - no problems as yet! I'm planning to apply an acrylic primer onto the plywood before tiling. Would appreciate your further thoughts.....

Thanks

The back and edges of the ply should have been primed, usually the adhesive manufacturer states that it is not needed to prime the face. Also technically 15mm WBP is min spec.

J

johnryan

i know a lot of people do still tile onto ply and there are adhesives that are rated to do this, but i dont like to tile direct to any type of wood surface any more. even if tiling to ply floors i'll always put a hardibacker or marmox etc. down as i've seen quite a few cases of adhesives debonding from ply surfaces, and even the layers of the ply itself delaminating. i'm not saying this will happen, but it is something that i've seen quite a lot of over the years, even when the right adhesives have been used ie. spf etc. my aplogies if this is incorrect advice, but is just something that personally, i'd always avoid doing. hope it all goes well for you.
cheers

john

G

Gazzer

I dont like Ply either, the problems will only become worse with the market being flooded with cheap ply imports. Go into the DIY shed and you can tuck a piece of 8x4 18mm ply under your arm it is so light !

O

ojtiler

I dont like Ply either, the problems will only become worse with the market being flooded with cheap ply imports. Go into the DIY shed and you can tuck a piece of 8x4 18mm ply under your arm it is so light !

Thanks for the advice/comments. I've found suitable edging strip now, so will be going down that route. However, still not sure how to proceed with the install given the comments about tiling onto plywood, so will cover that in a separate post.

Thanks again.

Reply to Porcelain tiling around window; which way to go; edging stip or mitre?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen