Search the forum,

Discuss porcelain tiles on slightly uneven concrete floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

angrysmurf

Greetings oh knowledgeable ones,

I would like to tile a 2.5 x 2.5 sq m galley kitchen with 330mm sq porcelain tiles. It is an ex-local authority flat with a concrete floor, has some cracks in parts. I’ve run my spirit level over sections of the floor, and it seems level in some parts slightly unlevel in others, although there are no huge dips or bumps in the surface (a crack/depression near the door). This crack is about 2mm in width and 1mm height difference when measured using a tape measure and spirit level. The concrete is a bit dirty from drips of paint and so forth from other work i have done in the kitchen.

I have been advised to tile up to the cabinet plinth.

The tiles come from terrazzo tiles and I believe them to be very high quality Terrazzo-Tiles Online Tile Shop: 30cm*30cm*1cm I Qaurzi Almond, they are not polished but are "anti-slip". I poured water on a sample and half an hour later it was still on the surface.

My question is: can i get away with cleaning, sealing the concrete with PVC primer, and then using flexible powdered adhesive built to a sufficient level to overcome any uneveness or imperfections in the concrete? Will it be strong enough to support the porcelain tiles?

Since this is my first forray into floor tiling, I would appreciate any other tips/suggestions you may have about which particular tools and brands to use.

My appreciation to anyone who responds

D

DHTiling

If this floor has cracks in it ...it might be prone to some sort of movement..i recommend you use a de-coupling membrane like schluter ditra mat.........here's a link of how schluter ditra works...[DLMURL="http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx"]Schluter-DITRA - Schluter-Systems[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

If this floor has cracks in it ...it might be prone to some sort of movement..i recommend you use a de-coupling membrane like schluter ditra mat.........here's a link of how schluter ditra works...[DLMURL="http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx"]Schluter-DITRA - Schluter-Systems[/DLMURL]

Here here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to porcelain tiles on slightly uneven concrete floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Help! New DIYer here - I’m preparing my bathroom floor to lay ceramic tile. Removed the vinyl...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
I like DIY projects. Figured I'd try my hand at removing cracked grout in my shower and replace...
Replies
Views
Daniels
D

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen