Currently reading:
Porcelain Continuous Rim Diamond Blade

Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain Continuous Rim Diamond Blade in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concrete guy

Got one of the pro gress but doing some porcel-thin and find it gives me some very minor chipping....

You're not the first person to report chipping in porcel-thin we're interested to see if there is a solution in blade design with this particular material.

We know that a "turbo" design makes the chipping worse, it doesn't seem to matter if it's our turbo blade, the Marcrist CK850 or the montolit DNA. None of them left a particularly acceptable finish.

So continuous rim is a step in the right direction with whoever's design you go for.

Anyhow, all feedback on this is good feedback and I'm wondering if there is something in the way that porcel thin is produced that makes it more prone to minor chipping.

W

White Room

You're not the first person to report chipping in porcel-thin we're interested to see if there is a solution in blade design with this particular material.

We know that a "turbo" design makes the chipping worse, it doesn't seem to matter if it's our turbo blade, the Marcrist CK850 or the montolit DNA. None of them left a particularly acceptable finish.

So continuous rim is a step in the right direction with whoever's design you go for.

Anyhow, all feedback on this is good feedback and I'm wondering if there is something in the way that porcel thin is produced that makes it more prone to minor chipping.

Thats why I was looking for a continuous rim to see how it worked out, I'll order one from your site Alan and the Vacuum brazed one for small amounts of smoothing out. [MENTION=37954]ATSDiamondTools[/MENTION]

C

Concrete guy

Thats why I was looking for a continuous rim to see how it worked out, I'll order one from your site Alan and the Vacuum brazed one for small amounts of smoothing out. @ATSDiamondTools

Not sure I'd use the VB blade in porcel thin, I have a feeling that may increase chipping. It's more suited to soft friable material like marble, travertine, fibreglass, plastics that sort of thing. But I've been wrong before.

Think of the VB blade as a "filing" action rather than traditional cutting.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Email me your details and I'll send you a con rim and VB blade to test at 115mm on Porcel thin. I'm interested how they perform on a grinder in porcel thin.

We've generally only sold the larger sizes for this use on rail saws.
hi Allan
gary (garytiler) was using one of your continuous rim blades in a grinder, at the porcelthin training day. I didn't notice much chipping, he was just using a damp sponge to cool.

C

Concrete guy

hi Allan
gary (garytiler) was using one of your continuous rim blades in a grinder, at the porcelthin training day. I didn't notice much chipping, he was just using a damp sponge to cool.

That's why I was wondering how it would perform in a grinder, using a sponge might be the difference between it chipping and not.

We had a customer recently trying to find a 250mm blade to cut porcel thin on a big bridge saw, he'd been through half a dozen (including some very expensive blades) and it was still chipping. The only conclusion I could come to was the saw can't have been running straight, in so much as the axle must have been out of true and creating a small vibration or tiny wobble as the blade rotated.

S

Stef

a damp sponge on the blade will make a lot of difference and you can then tidy the cut up with the grinder polishing discs mark should leave a perfect finished edge

Sorry to go off thread slightly,
I had to use Gary's method of using sponge with grinder today, had blundered with a shower grating on a wet floor & it worked a treat.
I hadn't seen this done till Rays day so cheers for the tip Gary... [emoji106][emoji106]

Reply to Porcelain Continuous Rim Diamond Blade in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement