Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Polished porcelain ‘haze’ in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. JackWheeler

JackWheeler Active Member

Hi,

I have recently had my kitchen floor tiled using a dark grey polished porcelain tile. It looks great but when the light catches some of the tiles they look ‘hazed’ could anyone tell me a) what it is and b) how I can go about getting rid of it. Here’s a picture, it’s incredibly hard to photograph it but hopefully you can tell what I mean. I’m also unsure if the picture will even post!!

2. Waluigi

Waluigi Top Contributor

Lithofin Cement Residue remover.

Start off by following the dilution rates specified.

3. Waluigi

Waluigi Top Contributor

Always test first on a spare tile or inconspicuous area.

4. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Good shout Mark. :):thumbsup:

6. impish

I've got a really good, very old article on this subject on an old hard drive. If I can, I'll dig it out later...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

That’d be kool mate.

8. impish

You know, I can't find it anywhere. Maybe it was tagged onto the end of Swe's guide to tiling. Remember that?! I'll check again tomorrow...

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Waluigi

Waluigi Top Contributor

10. JackWheeler

JackWheeler Active Member

971A9DBE-80ED-4A69-9D75-11FA7AA426E2.jpeg C1D2CF02-00B8-4940-B6CC-82B27F1BEA8D.jpeg Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks for sharing that article, that potentially explains it. The only thing I would say is the most obvious tile is that one in the picture right in the doorway.. the one behind it for instance doesn’t seem to have it at all. I can also see the haze from above, I’m not saying it’s not optical haze as it could well be, I just want to be certain that there is nothing I can do to sort it out.

11. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Good info, I've seen it many tiles and was never sure what was going on. I did a large floor last year with polished porcelain and they were really bad for it, got me paranoid as hell that it was me causing it. it's strange how it's not usually consistent

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

C1CF92AE-D375-4169-8EE0-5FD5FC0BF485-1024x768 (1).jpeg

Not the best image but you can see it

13. impish

I've only seen it once and it was with cheaper porcelain. Transit wax can look similar but obviously cleans up ok.
    I'm not saying it is OP's problem here and Waluigi may well be on the money, but just throwing it in for consideration...

• Like Like x 1
  14. jobdone

jobdone Active Member

Very interesting article on optical haze. Never new if was a thing. Wish I had known about it sooner might have saved my elbows and wrists from the excessive polishing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. NZ_Tiler

NZ_Tiler Professional Tiler

The facets mentioned in the optical hazing link, are they similar to pores?

I've laid some off white mechanical polished Porcelanosa from spain.

When grouting with a very light grey (mapei 111) it was immediately obviously the surface of the tile was holding mirco dots of grout.

When the supplier was questioned, he stated all polished porcelain should be sealed... Which is ********