Discuss Patio Tiling Quality Advice in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently moved into a new build property, we noticed that our enter last row of tiles on the patio and edges of the patio are chipped. Image attached of a full tile and 2 images from different parts of the patio of the chipped tiles.

We reported this to the developer as part of snagging however have been told that this is within tolerance and that clean cuts on patio tiles are not possible outside of the factory. Is this accurate? Are we being too fussy here?

Thanks in advance for responses.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-21 at 13.34.37.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-21 at 13.34.37 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-21 at 13.34.37 (1).jpeg

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Good luck getting the developer to sort that. It's rough absoloutely, and could have just been cut properly in the first place or rubbed down with a diamond pad to make it a nice smooth edge. I'd be interested to know if you can manage to get it replaced

Reaction score
They’ve been pretty good at sorting other stuff but this is a 9m wide patio and it’s the entire last row of slabs. Would this typically be within tolerance for a tiler? Or has this just cut with the wrong tool?

From the responses so far it sounds like this could have been avoided by cutting properly on-site (is there something specific they should have used?) or sanding down with a diamond pad?

Is that right?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They’ve been pretty good at sorting other stuff but this is a 9m wide patio and it’s the entire last row of slabs. Would this typically be within tolerance for a tiler? Or has this just cut with the wrong tool?

From the responses so far it sounds like this could have been avoided by cutting properly on-site (is there something specific they should have used?) or sanding down with a diamond pad?

Is that right?
The edge against the adjacent tile should have been a factory finished edge and not a cut edge. Get them to simply replace those cuts.

Reply to Patio Tiling Quality Advice in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay