Search the forum,

Discuss Onlinetiler | Videos | A Professional Tilers' View On Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

It's the residue on the tile, and the fact it pulls from the adhesive pretty clean. Deflection would have bits of adhesive on both the tile and the substrate still, right?

Bang on Dan:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like thermal shock.

Did the tile break like that as you lifted it up, or was it already broke? Could be a bit too much for thermal shock if it was broke like that on the floor, that could suggest deflection. The tile must have stuck if it's sort of smashed? Possibly over time as it's being walked over?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

thermal shock or deflection?

Always hard to call, I have been told by some how easy it is to differentiate between thermal shock/ deflection/ lateral movement, from tile samples in a laboratory. But others are of the opinion that there are always gray areas, so how it would stand up in a court case I'm not sure:yikes: It's frightening.:incazzato:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Best way it'd stand up in court is to prove if the floor has deflection, and then see how it was dealt with if it has. If it doesn't have any after lifting all the tiles, chances are, it'd be thermal shock.

Though the pics there show limited adhesive on the tile, the cracks seem to follow suit with the substrate which could suggest deflection perhaps? The tile must have cracked when the floor did. And as you say, the adhesive becomes loose with thermal shock, and although it could crack the tile, I don't think it'd follow the substrate quite so accurately.

Could be the beer talking. :drool5:

S

Spud

here are some more pictures from a job I am writing a report on, my conclusion is the floor has failed due to inadequate floor construction ,no support peers under the suspended floor allowing deflection and the use of osb board as a substrate adding to the problems of bounce in the floor where the boards meet i can move the boards up and down from eachother ,there is ufh but thermal shock isnt the reason why this floor has failed but if I hadnt crawled under the floor and cut out all the adhesive how I tell? I agree with Adam's conclusion with regards to his job and thank him for posting it, I was just hoping that there is an easy way of knowing :thumbsup:

O

Onlinetiler

excellent blog :thumbsup: how did you come to the conclusion its thermal shock?
Hi Gary,
As Phil mentioned earlier there's that residue on the back of the tile, I did take the cracking along the lines of the wire as a sign as well and also took into account that the whole floor is delaminating - i only popped one tile off to take a look.

The big give away tho - I asked the client :lol:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick note to say that this thread has become the most viewed for the past 30 days! Well done Adam for the brilliant video's. :) :thumbsup::8:

Reply to Onlinetiler | Videos | A Professional Tilers' View On Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen