Search the forum,

Discuss NVQ Floor and Wall Tiling- 3 years Experience- but I didnt? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonty

I have been doing an NVQ 2 in tiling at college since September and will finish the course in June but I have read posts that say you need 3 yrs experience to do an NVQ but I had no experience of tiling when i started the course? Any info appreciated

T

tysfoot

where did you find this course from.... im from manchester and cant find any....

What are the courses like. ive been tiling for about 8 months now and would love to learn advanced techniques

F

Fekin

I don't really think there is any "advanced techniques" in tiling, just more complicated pattens to create.

H

howard

where did you find this course from.... im from manchester and cant find any....

What are the courses like. ive been tiling for about 8 months now and would love to learn advanced techniques

i think they do a nvq course in salford i cant remember where . i looked at it on the internet last year

C

ChaseTiling

Hi all,

Well, this is a common one that is raised Re: NVQ's.

The NVQ programme for Tiling is written by the CAA, who also write the programme for the Intermediate Constrcution Award. The ICA is the FULL underpinning knowledge required for an NVQ2 in Tiling. This is how you can get an NVQ2 quickly instead of having to wait 3 years.

They are basicaly saying that if you do 'our accredited training', then we know you have been trained correctly and therefore we can trust you to do an NVQ and pass it.

If you have done your training elsewhere, even though it may be accredited by another awarding body, we can't trust the quality of the training and therefore require you to have 3 years experience, just in case :)

We run a 26 week NVQ course, for potential tilers that have never touched a tile in their life. Needless to say, these courses are extrememely popular.

L

LM Ceramics

they dont do the nvq at salford anymore the only places they do an nvq now is
liverpool (where i went) accrington, and i believe they do it in preston now

S

SnipSnap

Well said Marbleman!

I have been tiling for only 26 years so I am still an apprentice. lol

It is quite rare to find situations where you get the perfect job.
Substrates are never flat, levelling compound never self level, 95% of the time the tiles from diy stores are banana shaped, (it must be hard to make them that shape :lol: ) screws always stick out, Baths trays always out of level...... I can go for ever.

So, unnless you build the wall and screed the floor yourself and do all fitting and any other prep yourself; what the teach you at school will be of little use. Products and techniques constantly changing so we need to adapt often.

Use comonsense, read the info whenever available, don't cut corners, tell the customer that you need to do more preparation and charge accordingly.

Reaction score
Well said Marbleman!

I have been tiling for only 26 years so I am still an apprentice. lol

It is quite rare to find situations where you get the perfect job.
Substrates are never flat, levelling compound never self level, 95% of the time the tiles from diy stores are banana shaped, (it must be hard to make them that shape :lol: ) screws always stick out, Baths trays always out of level...... I can go for ever.

So, unnless you build the wall and screed the floor yourself and do all fitting and any other prep yourself; what the teach you at school will be of little use. Products and techniques constantly changing so we need to adapt often.

Use comonsense, read the info whenever available, don't cut corners, tell the customer that you need to do more preparation and charge accordingly.
self levelling try K15 from adruit or miruplan it does what its says on the bag and this one can be used on timber great material worth the extra cost
marbleman

F

floydyboy

well said lads, you cant buy experience, as for the self leveling you have GOT to use a trowel to help it level, it is beyond me why they named it self leveling compound, i am a plasterer by trade and i use the stuff almost on a daily basis:thumbsup:

Reaction score
well said lads, you cant buy experience, as for the self leveling you have GOT to use a trowel to help it level, it is beyond me why they named it self leveling compound, i am a plasterer by trade and i use the stuff almost on a daily basis:thumbsup:
use a roller alot easier than trowel and beleive you me done 1500 bags on my knees lol

F

floydyboy

i will give it a go but i was only stating that it needs help it wont level on its own:thumbsup:

G

Gary Beveridge

Hi.... Taking an NVQ level 2 through OSAT ( on site assessment and training) will require you to have more than three years experince, because this type of assessment is for experienced workers only. Three or four visits over a period of twelve weeks should be enough time to gather the evidence required to obtain your NVQ. As for college based NVQ this will take a lot longer because you have to learn the trade first....I hope this helps.

Reply to NVQ Floor and Wall Tiling- 3 years Experience- but I didnt? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen